completely fed up up with this piece of *****!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > completely fed up up with this piece of *****!!!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
kegnison

Thumbs down completely fed up up with this piece of *****!!!

I will admit, when we first bought this truck new, I absolutely loved it! But, that has changed since we have had more problems with this damn truck! It is a 2003 Grand Cherokee Limited and it only has 49k miles on it. Below is a list of things that have gone bad in it. All seem to be pretty common from what I can gather. Sorry, just need to vent a bit.......
  • have replaced 4 window regulators so far.
  • blend door broken.
  • transfer case issue - waiting to diagnose yet (simple fluid change, rebuild or replace?).
  • CD changer broken.
  • windshield wipers wont park, only work on high setting but at low speed. Otherwise they are erratic (stop & start when on intermittent or low).
  • drivers heated seat doesn't work.
  • back wiper doesn't even touch the window anymore.
  • EVAP error codes (0442, 0455 & 0456) are now showing up.
  • wind noise when driving is terrible & interior is very frosty is in the morning. Is the cab even sealed?

kegnison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Jebby
2002 WJ 

sounds like u have unrealistic expectations for an 11 year old vehicle. ill buy it for cheap since u don't think its been any good.
Jebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
MadderThanMax

Wj

Nothing to be alarmed at.. I've had 5 of these faults and have worked my way through all in the past. So it just means that you either part company or like me you may it into a great vehicle once more.. I mean if you really want to delve how about:

Totally rebushed underside in poly bush
New Rear axle - dealer part only
Moog Problem Solvers
Bilstiens all round
New Steering Damper
New Rear door latch and wiper motor
New Ball joints
New Cylinder Head
New High Pressure & Low Pressure fuel Pumps
Blend Door Repair
New Heater Control Panel
New Actuator for Blend Door
New Cruise Control Module
Window regulators both front doors
Driver side Heated Wing Mirror
Fuel Sender..

And so on... I guess it won't stop there, but for the money what else am I going to get?? Its now reliable and does what I want it too..Still Fell bad that your Jeep needs work??
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Everything fixed wont Go out again, start Fix!
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
kegnison

Trust me guys, I get it......it's 11 years old. Just blows putting so much into a vehicle with the low miles. We will fix it and be happy once again rather than dump it and replace it with something else. Like I said earlier, just needed to vent a bit.

btw, picking up my new 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie on Saturday
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
DeChache
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegnison View Post
Trust me guys, I get it......it's 11 years old. Just blows putting so much into a vehicle with the low miles. We will fix it and be happy once again rather than dump it and replace it with something else. Like I said earlier, just needed to vent a bit.

Sitting is harder on it than driving it. I traded a 99 GMC with 60k on the clock for my 03 WJ with 140K and the Jeep runs better and doesn't break down every week.
DeChache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
kegnison

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeChache View Post
Sitting is harder on it than driving it. I traded a 99 GMC with 60k on the clock for my 03 WJ with 140K and the Jeep runs better and doesn't break down every week.
finding that out the hard way.
Unread 02-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
DeChache
2003 WJ 

Quote:
finding that out the hard way.

Yea I did too. I thought it was great a 11 year old truck with 30k on the clock. I put more miles on it in the first month I owned it than the first 5 years the PO did.....

I replaced a lot of parts that summer

Congrats on the RAM some days I wish I still had a need for a truck. But alas the Jeep is more fun
DeChache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
palric

Quote:

IMO you need to have a DIY attitude to own an old Jeep.

I get pissed at the Jeep sometimes but only when working on something that is hard to get at. I got mine last year with 65,000 miles on it. I was surprised at how much work it needed. But I have a pretty solid vehicle now.
palric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
TURNER76
1999 WJ 

I have a rear sway bar with one of the bolts broke,and my drivers seat Is broke and moves back and forth.By the time I get work my head Is swimmy from all the swaying back and forth.We have very curvy roads and It sucks.Put a new cv axle In tonight though
TURNER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
RigoJeep

Sounds like you're well aware of what to expect from your Jeep...

2 years ago I was frustraded and ready to sell my 01 Laredo with 110k. I too, bougth mine new. My wife had been driving it for the last several years, but when the A/C stopped working we ended up buying a newer 09 WK...she wanted another Grand Cherokee!

I had a list longer than yours to fix. I was going to replace the brakes, broken emergency brake cable, tailgate lift supports, and sell it. After a few weeks of driving it again, I new I was going to fix everything else and keep it...I'm so glad I did...I still love driving this Jeep!

And it drives so solid..hoping I'll get another 100k!

BTW, the A/C issue with the Blend Doors...turned to be a $5 vacuum hose when I discovered the Cruise Control wasn't working! LOL
RigoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Quote:
I will admit, when we first bought this truck new, I absolutely loved it! But, that has changed since we have had more problems with this damn truck! It is a 2003 Grand Cherokee Limited and it only has 49k miles on it. Below is a list of things that have gone bad in it. All seem to be pretty common from what I can gather. Sorry, just need to vent a bit.......
  • have replaced 4 window regulators so far. Known issue
  • blend door broken. Known issue
  • transfer case issue - waiting to diagnose yet (simple fluid change, rebuild or replace?). Change out fluid, VC could use it
  • CD changer broken. Known issue. The Mitsubishi changer breaks if someone spits on the sidewalk
  • windshield wipers wont park, only work on high setting but at low speed. Otherwise they are erratic (stop & start when on intermittent or low). Use a multimeter and check the motor. Could be the motor or BCM.
  • drivers heated seat doesn't work. Known issue
  • back wiper doesn't even touch the window anymore. Known issue, Mopar has an updated arm that corrects this.
  • EVAP error codes (0442, 0455 & 0456) are now showing up. Evap leak somewhere and its big. Check the seal at the top of the tank
  • wind noise when driving is terrible & interior is very frosty is in the morning. Is the cab even sealed? First off its a brick its going to have bad wind noise. Second check to see if your recirc door is broken. Mine was, I broke it into pieces and took it out (during the summer) then when winter rolled around my heat couldnt keep up with the 5 degree tempratures.
Its old, and despite the low miles things still age just laying around. Thats why tires dry rot and seals leak.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #13
fast540
1999 WJ 

Bet that new truck costs more than keeping the old wj in perfect working order
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:20 AM   #14
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Minor issues ..... Each is a quick fix .

My '02 has had some of them..... None more then an hour to correct. Love my Jeep still after 162k and 12 years of ownership.

Your chilly interior is a broken recirc door .... 15 minute fix ( drop the glove box - push the door closed and secure for now).

Your codes indicate cracked rubber vacuum hoses on the vapor recovery system directly in front of the brake MC and throttle body ( use electricians tape until you can get new hoses ) .

I just bought a 2014 GC Overland.... But kept the '02 limited because it is still running like new .

Take the time to attack each of those minor issues and hopefully your Jeep will be your good buddy again.
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #15
CSIROC
2003 WJ 

I bought a 98 Cadillac Eldorado with 69,000 miles on it about two years ago. In the first year it needed nearly $3k in repairs - the big one being the friggen Northstar head gasket issue. Its pretty solid now, but I've given it to my parents - I didn't like the vehicle well enough to keep putting money into it. So I understand how frustrating it can be, but one of the reasons I went with a WJ is I wanted a vehicle I was willing to repair *when* things went wrong. To me, that is key - liking your vehicle enough to be willing to work on it. If you don't, its time to get something else - either that you don't have to work on or that you are willing to work on. Hope the venting helped.
CSIROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.