Cold Weather Brakes?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cold Weather Brakes??

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Brakeman62
2001 WJ 

Cold Weather Brakes??

I have a 2001 WJ Laredo 4.0. When I first start it on a cold morning the brake peddle is stiff and goes nearly to the floor. If I pump the peddle it will start to build back up. As the truck warms up, the brake peddle loosens up and the brakes get back to normal.
Any ideas??? Thanks!!

Brakeman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
asatxj
2001 WJ 

If the PEDAL goes to the floor when cold and gets better, I would take a look at your booster and the vac. plumbing for it. Might have a slow leak that the system can overcome and pressurize when you get going. Are your brakes mushy all the time? when did you do your last brake job?
ASAT= All Season All Terrain
asatxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
sprocket1200
2001 WJ 

Try new fluid with turkey baster method. Cheap and easy.

Ours improved noticeably after doing this and it was already good then!
sprocket1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Brakeman62
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the reply!! Brakes are not mushy all the time, only when I start it in cold weather. I just replaced both front and back brakes.
Brakeman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asatxj View Post
If the PEDAL goes to the floor when cold and gets better, I would take a look at your booster and the vac. plumbing for it. Might have a slow leak that the system can overcome and pressurize when you get going. Are your brakes mushy all the time? when did you do your last brake job?
And the Master cylinder.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
asatxj
2001 WJ 

Only when cold sounds like maybe some moisture in the system, water will condense when it's cold and give you a "water bubble" that will get somewhat dispersed when it gets warmed up. Still somewhat spongy though. I'd do the turkey baster method and then bleed the system as step 1. If there is no change I'd replace the booster (I have two good used ones btw) and last do the MC. Unless you can find a used MC/Booster combo for cheap and do both.
ASAT= All Season All Terrain
asatxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.