cold temp pre-warmed at stop engine die - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cold temp pre-warmed at stop engine die

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
derbartman
2000 WJ 

ok - I completely removed the throttle body and cleaned it out pretty good. The main part was clean from before, but the side inlet areas were quite dirty - along with the solinoid type thing. I replaced the o-ring for the throttle body ($4) and the oring on the solenoid thing.
What was really interesting to me was the air line which comes in the side of the throttle body from a long plastic hose - had a crack in the rubber hose segment connecting the plastic hose to the throttle body.

got it all back together and checked that it ran - but left testing cold idle until this morning.

unfortunately it wasn't really cold this morning, so it certainly didn't die at a stop, but it did still have the odd rpm drop - so it looks like this throttle body work didn't 'fix' the issue

The behavior is that I come to a complete stop - at first idle is ok, and then perhaps 1 second later the rmp droops significantly - enough to kill it when cold, or just droop to say 400 or 450 with warmer outside temp. and then it recovers after maybe 1-2 seconds. Perhaps Ill try to time it tomorrow morning.

What could this delayed idle speed drop be caused by?

derbartman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
derbartman
2000 WJ 

Any other suggestions? Do I need to replace the IAC even though it measures ok?
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Check voltage for the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) throughout it's operating range. It's easy enough to check with a volt meter, there's several how-to's on youtube. It's possible that the TPS is reading high, causing the IAC to close all the way, since the ECM thinks the throttle blade is open more than it really is.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
BustedZJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbartman View Post
What was really interesting to me was the air line which comes in the side of the throttle body from a long plastic hose - had a crack in the rubber hose segment connecting the plastic hose to the throttle body.
a vacuum leak that close to intake would be a good place to look. check all vacuum hoses. they will cause poor idle, especially when you first release the gas, and can cause poor mpg, which i am sure is already bad in a v8...

either replace that cracked piece of hose or try to seal it with some silicone or similar. check the other vacuum hoses.

can check for leaks with some carb cleaner spray. spray it over the cracked area and any other possible leaky hoses, if the idle speed changes you have found a leak.

i wouldnt throw parts at it especially if you tested them and they came back fine, that can get expensive.
BustedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #20
derbartman
2000 WJ 

ya - I did replace that segment of hose - with no noticeable improvement. I need to research how to do this measurement on the voltage or resistance of the TPS - and I guess next checking vacuum hoses seems plausible.
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

With a scanner that reads live data its easy. Just watch the TPS.

Idle is around 11.3% and full throttle is around 78% or so.

It should be steady when your holding the throttle steady and as you slowly increase the throttle the number should increase accordingly.

On my Saturn my old TPS would actually go down at a few points where I mostly drove at. Say......around 11-15% and in the mid 20's.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

Don't even mess with cleaning that dam IAC, just go out and buy a new one, I can %100 guarantee you that is your cause of this issue, simply because driving with two feet to maintain a slightly open throttle plate makes the issue go away...

New IAC, clean up that throttle body nice and purdy when you are replacing the old IAC, and also make sure you wind that pintle on your new IAC all the way down into the motor housing prior to installation.

I would buy a Mopar IAC, when mine went bad I bought one from o'Reilly and it ended up coming apart inside my throttle body one day causing a no start...had to fish out the internals from the tb and put the entire IAC assembly back together...when it comes to anything electronic always go OEM
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #23
derbartman
2000 WJ 

ok - I didn't know about winding the pintle (don't even really know what that is) maybe I left my current one all wrong when I had it out cleaning.

I watched a youtube showing measuring the voltage on the TPS, but to measure while its plugged in I think I need a very thin probe - I don't want to mess up the gasketing on that connector - I did measure the resistance of the TPS without voltage/power and it seems ok.

Ill try this OBD approach looking for steady - the fact that its only at cold though might make this whole measuring approach a bit hard.
I like your confidence QD - and I have to say im not convinced of TPS - I may just spring for that part instead of more messing around - I bet its $90 or so though..
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Of its only happening during warm up watch the open loop / closed loop on your scanner and see if it acts up while still in open loop or if it happens right after it goes to closed loop while warming up.

Also look at your LTFT's.
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
derbartman
2000 WJ 

LTFT is?

I hope I can see open loop / closed loop on my scanner - this is part of the warm up cycle?
Unread 11-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #26
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbartman
LTFT is? I hope I can see open loop / closed loop on my scanner - this is part of the warm up cycle?
If your LTFT's are high like approaching 10 or higher it could represent a fuel delivery problem, or a vacuum leak (big).
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #27
derbartman
2000 WJ 

I was able to get my LT ST - but I didn't write down the numbers - Ill need to go back and do that.

I have discovered that if I put the jeep in neutral when stopping I don't have this issue. I once found a thread in this forum where someone had a symptom just like mine and they claimed both the p1784 and this type of dying was solved when they opened up the tranny and fixed some kind of leaking gasket I think. I do sometimes get this P1784 - on cold cold mornings and get this high slipping mode - but I always perceived that and this idle issue as separate, but now I think they are linked or the same..
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #28
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It is very worth looking into solving the P code. But it looks like many things can cause it. From bad wiring, bad sensor, bad pump, bad VB.........
Unread 01-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #29
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I have the same thing happen to me when the battery is weak. When the engine returns to near idle, the old alternator can't keep up with the need and relies on the battery to supplement. The weak battery causes a power drop and idle fluctuation. As it got colder and the battery older, it would stall at a light unless I did a gas/brake combo. Then a Neutral drop to leave from a light.

That occurred exactly twice before I had enough of that and got a new battery. All was good then I had the alternator finally fail a few years later.

(At least let a parts store clerk do a load test on the battery to rule that out, right?) Just reading voltage won't tell you enough.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #30
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
I have a 2002 FSM that I bought when I had a 2002 Overland. When that got totaled, this FSM pretty much still applies to my 2003 Overland. Thanks for the offer, but I was saying that mostly for the benefit of whoever is reading the post. I searched and search, but could never find the free versions either. People on here keep saying there are free FSM's out there, but never give a link, and I could never find them.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
www.jeepslimited.com

create an account and you have access to FSM downloads for all makes and models. This site relies on donations to run, so feel free to donate.

They are also looking for the 02' FSM, you could donate a copy of yours to their inventory. In fact, I would download a copy of it.

I currently cross reference the 01' and 04' manual when working on my jeep.

Help them out, as they help lots of jeepers nation wide.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.