cold temp pre-warmed at stop engine die - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cold temp pre-warmed at stop engine die

Alloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 10-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
derbartman
2000 WJ 

cold temp pre-warmed at stop engine die

cold weather is back, and this morning so was my last winter issue. My Jeep seems to really dislike the cold so much that the first few lights and stop signs will often cause it to die and force a restart unless I hold the break and the gas. After if more warmed up it does ok. Sometimes it starts up pretty much no issue, and sometimes it starts up with some cranking.

Where would I start?

derbartman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
derbartman
2000 WJ 

Should have mentioned - this is the 4.7 v8 ~150k miles
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Have you ever removed the throttle body and cleaned it? If not do so.

Do you have a scanner that reads live data? Its worth going out in the morning with engine cold and turn on ignition and look at what the PCM thinks the engine and throttle body temp are. They should be within 5-10 degrees of each other and should be within the same for ambient temp as well.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
derbartman
2000 WJ 

I have some plug in OBD scanners which my phone can read - and some software to read them. Im not sure if Ill be able to get those two temps - but ill try. I have not cleaned the thottle body - Ill look into that.

I guess I should run though my hanes book test on the Idle Air Control valve?

My hanes book mentions idle speed being wrong as possilby causing stalls and to check the VECI label?
Unread 11-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbartman
I have some plug in OBD scanners which my phone can read - and some software to read them. Im not sure if Ill be able to get those two temps - but ill try. I have not cleaned the thottle body - Ill look into that. I guess I should run though my hanes book test on the Idle Air Control valve? My hanes book mentions idle speed being wrong as possilby causing stalls and to check the VECI label?
There are free downloads of the FSM for the WJ. Put your Hanes manual in the garbage.

Step 1 is remove and clean your throttle body.

Step 2 is use your app on cell phone and look for the engine coolant temp, and the throttle body/ intake temp readouts.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
There are free downloads of the FSM for the WJ. Put your Hanes manual in the garbage. Step 1 is remove and clean your throttle body. Step 2 is use your app on cell phone and look for the engine coolant temp, and the throttle body/ intake temp readouts.
That's what people on here keep saying, but the only person I have seen to actually provide a link to one is ALFAITALIA and his link is: http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/ but that is only for a 2001. I know a lot of the things are the same, but there are also things like wire colors that are specific to certain years. If you know where the FSM's can be found online, please provide a link.

Since then, more have been posted:

http://pdftown.com/Pdf-eBook/Jeep.html?from=0

http://www.nagca.com/manuals/01/manual01wj.zip

password: techauthority

http://wagoneers.com/WJ/tech/

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...eard/Jeep.html

http://pdftown.com/Jeep-PDF-eBook-Category.html

http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I googled my brains out one evening and found a download a few years back

Then about 1 year ago I bought a 2004 CD for 15 dollars off EBay.

Pm me your email address.
Unread 11-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
I googled my brains out one evening and found a download a few years back Then about 1 year ago I bought a 2004 CD for 15 dollars off EBay. Pm me your email address.
I have a 2002 FSM that I bought when I had a 2002 Overland. When that got totaled, this FSM pretty much still applies to my 2003 Overland. Thanks for the offer, but I was saying that mostly for the benefit of whoever is reading the post. I searched and search, but could never find the free versions either. People on here keep saying there are free FSM's out there, but never give a link, and I could never find them.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
derbartman
2000 WJ 

here is what I have so far:
sitting pre start : 15 C for coolant , and 17C for IAT
also we measured the resistance on the idle control device and the pin 1 to 4 vs pin 2 to 3 showed 52.4 vs 52.9 (not 100% sure which was which).

So in both cases the results are not identical, but it seems like they both are fairly close.

We also tried the test of putting the engine under load to see if the idle would adjust - it did seem to initially it would go down, and then up above the initial idle and then down a little when we put it in gear with the break on.
I didn't try AC.

Hopefully just the cleaning will do the trick.

I cleaned out the throttle body - as best I could without removing it.
I didn't get up early enough to try the cold idle issue, but plan to tomorrow.
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

odd thought why dont you just warm it up ?

it will give better gas mileage and power along with less wear and tear
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Remove the throttle body to clean it. You also need to remove the IAC from its hole and clean all the crunchies from its pintle

The IAC is a motor. Not a sensor.
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
derbartman
2000 WJ 

Ok more update - Ill try those recent suggestions also.

So tried this morning in cold. It didn't die like I would have expected, but it still had trouble. Its interesting - it seems fine with accommodating a change in load, but when I come to a stop - at first its idle is fine, and then it will dip down significantly say maybe to 450rpm and then in today's case recover back to 800 or so - this is while it is still not hot, but the temp gauge has started to move. I tired this repeatedly and it was pretty consistent with this post stop fine then big rpm dip then recovery. It wasn't as cold today as in past - so im not 100% sure the throttle body cleaning (without removal) has helped or not, but it didn't die at the stops - it just seemed to try pretty hard.

why not just let it warm up --
well its a v8 takes a while, it shouldn't need to - most of us are pretty used to vehicle just being ready to go (we are talking 30-40 F not -10), its illegal to leave our car running without someone in it, so someone would need to sit in the car for many mins prior to the desired departure time (hard to do with the rush and lateness of kids going to school) -- overall its an admirable idea which doesn't fit for all my household members very well. Im trying to get this jeep running well and liked so that it doesn't get the axe from the over all family vehicle needs. I told them all to just double foot break and gas - you can imagine what my wife and teenage daughters think of that...

I can try removing and cleaning whole throttle body - will I need a gasket to put that back together I wonder?

Ill try removing and cleaning the IAC thingy - but this whole - fine rpm then dip thing has me confused.
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The throttle body is o-ringed. No gasket needed same with the IAC
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
derbartman
2000 WJ 

What is safe to use to clean the IAC? throttle body cleaner, break cleaner, brush and water...
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
odd thought why dont you just warm it up ?

it will give better gas mileage and power along with less wear and tear
Idling for ten minutes gets you 0 MPG.

As long as the OP is using a quality motor oil in the correct grade, there really isn't any need for more than a 1 or 2 minute warmup time. Staying conservative with the throttle the first couple of miles driving will be all that's necessary to get the engine up to temp quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbartman View Post
What is safe to use to clean the IAC? throttle body cleaner, break cleaner, brush and water...
Throttle body or brake parts cleaner with an old toothbrush is generally what I use. Make sure you DO NOT pull the pintle out of the IAC motor itself. Be generous with the cleaner, and don't forget to clean out the passages in the throttle body itself.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.