Cold Air? Where? Or is it all Hot Air? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cold Air? Where? Or is it all Hot Air?

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 03-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
Maaark65

Cold Air? Where? Or is it all Hot Air?

Ok, someone please sort me out once and for all on cold air intakes PLEEEEAASE. Sorry for the pun, but is it all a bunch of hot air?..i mean, if the intake is in the engine bay, and open, unlike the exisitng filter in my Overland which is at least in a plastic box, how can it be a cold air intake? take these examples...advertised as a cold air intakes:

Mopar - Performance - Trail - Cold Air Intake Systems

Jeep Grand Cherokee K&N 57 Generation II Cold Air Intake - 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee - K&N K335715131

surely, they are HOTAIR INTAKES...I mean, theres no cold air under the hood of my Overland !!!..at least this one, doesnt use the term "cold air"....but is called a "performance intake":

57-1513-1 - K&N 57 Series FIPK, Performance Intake Kit

Arent they the same product?

So, is it all hot air? I've seen v8 jeep drivers on the internet listing cold air as one of their mods.......and if it is as i suspect all hot air, does the performance intake actually improve performance?

Maaark65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Zoramac
2014 KL Cherokee 

You are correct, the "cold air" is a misnomer, same as cars that have "ram air", they are just better flowing systems (usually). Even routing a direct line to the outside will at most give ambient air temp. they do offer a slight increase due to a better air path, (better filter and getting rid of the silencer helps). I know that in the gto and fbody forums these issues have been beaten to death multiple times so im assuming the same rules of physics apply to jeeps as well.
Zoramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Under ordinary driving conditions, the computer is in closed loop mode and using O2 sensor feed back, it keeps the mixture close to 14.7:1 regardless of the intake air temp. The throttle is in full control of the power being produced by the engine, because it controls the amount of air getting into the engine.

Under wide open throttle (WOT), computer in open loop mode, the throttle can no longer control the power and cooler air can make a some difference in power production. The computer still monitors the intake air temp with the IAT sensor. It knows that cooler air is more dense and so it injects the additional fuel needed to match the denser cooler air. More power will be produced by burning the additional fuel. Obviously, no cool air intake can reduce the intake air temp lower that the outside temp.

Keep in mind the the effectiveness of the intake depends on WOT operation, that is, the accelerator pedal is on the floor. With normal part throttle operation the cool air intake is worthless.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.