Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

cold air intake yay or nay

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  MWF 
#1 ·
I have a 99 grand
Cherokee limited all stock looking at getting a k&n intake kit is there anything else also looking at a magnaflow exhaust
Need input if there good buys

#2 ·
I bought the twin filter y pipe for my 4.7 wj off eBay and was happy with it. Was a lot cheaper than kn

#6 ·
ratmonkey said:
And sucks much hotter air while filtering less.
But keeps it from hydrolocking in water puddles. Swap an engine from a hydrolock and $50 for a different filter system looks real cheap. Never noticed a power loss at all from the warmer air.

#7 ·
Not sure how a k&n can protect against hydrolock but a paper filter cant...well how either could in the right situation, I guess what I'm asking is what the difference is between the two in that aspect? Otherwise I used to be a fan of k&n filters till I was shown that they actually do not filter as good as a paper filter and unless you get a true cold air intake and are taking in outside air there is no benefit on that side either.

#8 ·
My setup prevents hydro locks by having the air come from the upper under hood area, rather than rammed into a sealed box fed by the grill. It is also 2 paper filters, not knn.

#9 ·
9/10 of people who hydrolock were either driving way too fast or were in way over the hood.
You can drive through water up to the headlights and not get the filter damp if you drive correctly.
All of my friends that have hydrolocked, and i have a few, were doing one of those two stupid things.

#14 ·
I put one of those on, took it off after less than a week. No noticeable power difference, and it howled like a scalded dog. I go off road to commune with nature, not scare the $%# out of it. Stock system seems to work just fine.

#13 ·
i6 4.0 here with a rusty's short ram and K&N filter 185k on her and this helps! better mpg's and exceleration. no real noise difference unless i smash the gas and it is still quite with a deep roar. overall best money spent on a mod in my opinion for i6. as for the v8 big difference in power so cant speak to that.

#15 ·
ratmonkey said:
9/10 of people who hydrolock were either driving way too fast or were in way over the hood.
You can drive through water up to the headlights and not get the filter damp if you drive correctly.
All of my friends that have hydrolocked, and i have a few, were doing one of those two stupid things.
Mine was water hole in the trail 6 hours from home, with no other vehicles to help me. Didn't want to get stuck, also didn't want to turn around, or go measure the depth of the water to do the math on how fast I could drive through without getting stuck or destroying my engine. 4lo wide open was the decision, blown engine was the answer.

Attachments

#16 ·
You can't call someone an idiot for hydroing a jeep on the trail, you can however call them an idiot if they use their jeep on the trail with the factory water funnel still in place

#17 ·
No opinion on the submarineability of either setup, but I took a k&n fipk off of my ford truck, an application where it actually helps power, because the sound level was obnoxious. Anything above 1/4 throttle and it drones so bad we had to yell in the cab. No more thought goes into those things than the homemade setups that a lot of guys do, but they cost a lot more. Junk, imo.
Some sort of cowl induction is the right answer. Cool air, from a higher point that's visible to the driver.

#18 ·
If you want to test if your factory box is restrictive, unbolt the box from the inner fender and reassemble the box, then rev it and watch the flex pipe collapse and expand with every rev no matter if it's 2000 rpm or 5000.

#19 ·
Lysdexic said:
I put one of those on, took it off after less than a week. No noticeable power difference, and it howled like a scalded dog. I go off road to commune with nature, not scare the $%# out of it. Stock system seems to work just fine.
Indeed the noise is very intrusive, cool when you're messing around on your own but can be a little embarrassing when you give it some throttle carrying the inlaws around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.