Cold Air Intake? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cold Air Intake?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
handy3030
2004 FSJ Cherokee 

Cold Air Intake?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a nice and good cold air intake for a 2004 grand cherokee 4.0 LS

handy3030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

No such thing. You can get a k&n or make your own, but its going to be a warm air intake and wont do much if anything at all as far as performance.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

i run dry ice in my stock airbox
Colorado Jeep Club Member#259
thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyhasadd2 View Post
I thought about that for a second, thought it would work, but then i thought harder and realised that dry ice emits CO2, so... your engine most likely wouldnt even start. Hah.

Funny though.
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
peytonimor7
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyhasadd2 View Post
I've already got one of your quotes in my sig... you just keep em comin! LOL
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
WeThePeople408
2004 WJ 

Recently installed a K&N on my 4.0

http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/...Engine%20Mods/
WeThePeople408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Voltage258
2003 WJ 

I got a K&N and noticed a differance. And the sound is worth it alone. But im not sure how it will do in the 100 degree summers but i guess i will find out.

82 Grand Wagoneer Limited. Amc 360, Bridgstone MT's
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I have a K&N with a heat shield on my 4.7. According to my Ultragauge reader, the inlet air temperature is usually about five degrees warmer than it was with the stock box. I don't think 5*F would make that much of a difference, and it does sound a lot cooler... Just my $0.02
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsWJ
I have a K&N with a heat shield on my 4.7. According to my Ultragauge reader, the inlet air temperature is usually about five degrees warmer than it was with the stock box. I don't think 5*F would make that much of a difference, and it does sound a lot cooler... Just my $0.02
So your new intake is warmer than the stock one or am I reading that wrong?

Also fun fact, whenever I read your name, I can just think "There can only be one" (Yes I know its spelled "MacLeod" in the Highlander series, still just makes me lol)
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
So your new intake is warmer than the stock one or am I reading that wrong?

Also fun fact, whenever I read your name, I can just think "There can only be one" (Yes I know its MacLeod in the Highlander series, still just makes me lol)
Yes, you're reading it right. It's technically a FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit or something like that). They're supposed to increase performance because they're "less restrictive" than the stock air box.

I don't know of any true cold air intakes out there for a WJ. A real cold air intake is supposed to pull cooler air from somewhere other than the engine bay.

An engine's potential to make power is a function of the temperature difference between the inlet and the combustion chamber (as well as a couple other things). If you can get cooler air in, or get the engine to burn hotter, there is a larger potential for power. Some math to prove it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_cycle

Bottom line up front, there may be power gains from the less restrictive air flow. There may be power lost to the smaller heat differential. You'll have people that will swear by both arguments. But, it sounds cool as hell.

Most CAI's are some variation of this--the air going into the engine is from outside of the engine bay and supposedly cooler:

A FIPK looks like this, with the inlet still inside of the engine bay:
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsWJ
Bottom line up front, there may be power gains from the less restrictive air flow. There may be power lost to the smaller heat differential. You'll have people that will swear by both arguments. But, it sounds cool as hell.
Any chance of a video to show, or rather let us hear the difference in noise? I'm curious to what changes.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #12
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

there is a loud suction and swoosh noise. as mccloud showed above if you could reroute where the air comes from that goes to filter it would be better. I like the FIPK to clear things up a bit and make it easier to do work. I got mine done for 15$ including filter. Really wouldn't want to spend the flow on the kits
peyton good stuff amigo. although i definitely did a triple take the first time i saw it!
Colorado Jeep Club Member#259
thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

I'll just make my own... Haha. Maybe ill do a write up..

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
K10roc

I made mine and powder coated it when i port and polished and powder coated my throttle body. works great!!! wiht as much that is open under the filter keeps cool air coming in, i noticed much better throttle response, sounds cool, and a bit better gas milage

2000 Jeep grand WJ limited, 245/75/16, Thrust 2 chamber muffler, 2in bb, rough country shocks, slotted and drilled rotors, Torqflo trans cooler, powder coated calipers, custom made CAI, K&N cone filter, ported and polished throttle body, Chip, Torqflo trans cooler, 6000k HID, PIAA fog, lots of powder coating and blacked out parts
K10roc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
No such thing. You can get a k&n or make your own, but its going to be a warm air intake and wont do much if anything at all as far as performance.
thats pretty much what i have heard. it may help response just a little but the sound is the biggest difference.
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.