Coil Springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coil Springs?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
mamma_jm

Coil Springs?

I'm new to this and not very car savvy so bear with me please!

I just bought a used 2003 Grand Cherokee. I work in an office park with lots of speed bumps and everyday when I would drive over them, there would be this somewhat wretched sound coming from the front left wheel well. Never thought anything of it because it was only when I went over speed bumps.

Driving down the highway the other night, hit a pothole and now something is broken. Car pulls a little to the right and whenever making a sharp turn or going over a bump it makes an even worse sound, like a scraping or crunching. Not sure how else to describe it. I've been told it could be a few different things, snapped coil spring, shock absorber mounts or a blown strut. My husband and his friends are pretty good with cars in general so can someone tell me if this would be an easy fix or would I be better off going to a mechanic?

mamma_jm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
js12278
1999 WJ 

I am sure once they get under the WJ they should find the issue and should be able to fix it.
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Could be a few things. I agree with js - someone needs to crawl under and look. Without doing that, we're all just guessing. If in doubt of the repair, a mechanic would be the safe choice.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Jebby
2002 WJ 

pictures would help us but if your husband knows cars he will most likely find the issue quickly. shouldn't be to hard to spot if something has broken free
Jebby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
mamma_jm

Thanks for the responses. We brought it to the guy I bought it from today. On the phone he was trying to tell me it was my own fault and basically **** out of luck but I've barely had the car for a month, hopefully he'll fix it for me.
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
mudpack
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma_jm View Post
I've been told it could be a few different things, snapped coil spring, shock absorber mounts or a blown strut.
Your WJ does not have struts. A broken coil spring, depending on where it was broken, would not make the noise or cause a pull to the right, and/or would cause your WJ to sit unevenly. Broken shock absorber mount would be clanking all the time.
Sounds like bad suspension bushings or, more likely, bad tie rod ends to me.
mudpack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
...We brought it to the guy I bought it from today. On the phone he was trying to tell me it was my own fault and basically **** out of luck but I've barely had the car for a month, hopefully he'll fix it for me.
Huh? That seems like a bad idea. Is he a mechanic? Did you agree when you purchased it that he would take care of future issues?

If you constantly hit speed bumps and found something broke after hitting a pot hole after a MONTH of ownership, I'd have to agree that this is totally out of the previous owner's hands UNLESS he knew there was something wrong and agreed before selling that he'd take care of it.

I'm not trying to be rude but it seems strange you expected the previous owner to take care of the problem. Better yet, it seems strange that you'd even bother to call the previous owner, let alone let said PO fix the issue...

Unread 02-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
mamma_jm

I bought it from a car dealer/mechanic. The lemon law in Mass would've covered it if it had happened before 1/24. I called the guy hoping he'd help me out considering it was just 6 days over the 30. My husband said whatever it was that broke, should not have broken so easily.

It ended up being a mount connected to the sway bar, or something along those lines. He just welded it back on.
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I bought it from a car dealer/mechanic. The lemon law in Mass would've covered it if it had happened before 1/24. I called the guy hoping he'd help me out considering it was just 6 days over the 30. My husband said whatever it was that broke, should not have broken so easily.
That makes so much more sense now!

Quote:
It ended up being a mount connected to the sway bar, or something along those lines. He just welded it back on.
Interesting. Sound like perhaps it broke where it mounts to the axle (see pic below - the vertical bar that mounts right in front of the spring). Did you check the underside of the vehicle for rust before you bought it?

Unread 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Broken endlink mount at front lower spring perch, sounds familiar, Seen it before
image-4176021180.jpg

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.