Coil Spring Retainers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coil Spring Retainers

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
smunns

Coil Spring Retainers

After losing a coil spring on an obstacle this past weekend, I want to fab up some retainers.

Would something like this be enough?

Or do I want to go with this style?

smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Either one will work. The top type will capture the coil. You'll want to use them on both the top and bottom of each coil. The bottom version will let the coil come off of the top perch but it won't let it fall out. When you come back down it will help guide the spring back onto the post.

If you have a welder or know someone who can weld, a piece of 2.5" exhaust pipe welded to the top post serves the same purpose for < $10.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
skullysXJ
2001 WJ 

I would go with a set of both. I have the 2nd of the two and I've never lost one but it will sometimes not seat right on the bottom rubber seat. I plan to fab up a set of the first to put on the bottom.
~KADE~ kool kid klub #1
08 JKU Rubicon
skullysXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
smunns

Sweet, I'll just bend up some flat stock for the bottoms, and weld in some exhaust pipe up top. Thanks for the tip!
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
sinbad85
2001 WJ 

I just lost my front spring today, does anyone use spring retainers for the rear or is that not a problem?
2001 WJ 4.7L-selec-trac/4.5" Teraflex springs\IRO Long arms\Iro adj rear LCA/Bilstien 5100 series shocks/ IRO steering Equalizer/|265/75/16 Goodyear Dura-Tracs on Stock rims\Rear Tube Bumper with carrier|sliders|mopar skids.
sinbad85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
orb
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad85 View Post
I just lost my front spring today, does anyone use spring retainers for the rear or is that not a problem?
Would also love to know this.

And where can I get the top ones? What do they bolt to?
Unread 02-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
skullysXJ
2001 WJ 

Ironrockoffroad sells some top ones. They just thread into the spring perch
~KADE~ kool kid klub #1
08 JKU Rubicon
skullysXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #8
huntandfish
2004 WJ 

IRO sells both styles pictured above. the clip ones are about 20$ and the upper ones are about $50. IRO says that either one will help retain the spring but for best results use both.

I dont see the rear being a problem for most people who keep the rear sway bar connected to keep the body roll down. Even if you did disco the rear sway bar you would probably need aftermarket rear control arms to loose a rear coil.
A great place for outdoorsmen in the NW. www.hunting-washington.com Member Screen name- addicted
huntandfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.