Coil Pack O-Ring Dropped Into Spark Plug Chamber (Pic) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coil Pack O-Ring Dropped Into Spark Plug Chamber (Pic)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
Hazed_blue
2000 WJ 

Yeah, after working at it for an hour or so, the well itself looks immaculate, not a trace of debris or dirt, save for the o-ring segment. The other immediate option I have available is a vacuum cleaner; I'll find a small, flexible tube and tape it to the end of the hose as suggested and see if that can grab it. You're right, I think the failing of the can of air is that the blast coming through the straw is too localized and not enough pressure, and it's not able to get underneath the rubber to lift it.

I was ready to throw in the towel and just drive it to the shop, but I'm going to give the vacuum a try. We'll see how it goes.

Hazed_blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #17
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickblack View Post
That thing will burn up so quick that you will never notice it. Rubber is made of petroleum. I wouldn't worry so much if it fell in the combustion chamber.
This.

A piece of metal I'd be concerned about, part of a small o-ring? Eh, not so much. Pull the plug, see if the o-ring, or part of it, comes out with it. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If it really concerns you, then pull the plug, get that cylinder to TDC, and go to town with a shop vac. You could likely get some tubing/hose from the local hardware or parts store to size it down to it in the spark plug well and suck it out of the cylinder.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
Hack
2003 WJ 

Duct Tape a straw to the vacuum hose. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything even if it did fall in.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #19
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

How about dropping in a little rubbing alcohol to see if it will float enough to grab it or vacuum it out with the liquid? If it does not work, the alcohol will evaporate and or can be vacced back out.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #20
asatxj
2001 WJ 

The rubbing alcohol won't hurt a thing in the cylinder. IF the o-ring floats you are gtg. Gotta post the final result!
ASAT= All Season All Terrain
asatxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #21
MadderThanMax

Ever Heard of Blu Tac??? Seriously.. I've used a little blob of this on numerous occasions to get something out or in. In fact the last time I used it was Sunday passed where by I had a screw that there was no way in hell that it would go back in without falling off.. a dollop of Blu Tac later and Aye Viola Job Done!!!

Another possibility that I've also done is a tiny drop of Instant Glue.. even thread lock does the same.. just enough to hold it in place whilst you do what ever.. Been There Done That and my T shirt is getting pretty worn.....
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #22
Hazed_blue
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
How about dropping in a little rubbing alcohol to see if it will float enough to grab it or vacuum it out with the liquid? If it does not work, the alcohol will evaporate and or can be vacced back out.
Now this is a neat idea! Good thinking with the alcohol.

You fellas have provided many ideas that I will give a try, but you've also provided some much-needed solace. I'll give these things a shot, but if it ends up falling in, I won't fret. This is another one of those times when I know enough to be informed (don't let things fall into the chamber), but not enough to be knowledgeable (rubber will burn up, it can't fall between the piston and wall and throw a rod, etc).

This may have to wait until the weekend when I have free time, but I absolutely will post back with the results. If you have more ideas or experience with items in the well and/or chamber, by all means continue posting them until then.
Unread 09-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #23
bradywgn71
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

You really think it's a good idea to run rubbing alcohol through a shop vac?
Unread 09-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #24
Jwhughes3
Badger don't care!

1999 WJ 

Grease, pick+air, shop vac all good suggestions but that rubber o-ring will not damage anything if it falls in and will burn up and become ash in first startup.

JW
Jwhughes3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #25
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
Ever Heard of Blu Tac??? .....

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing... it's also called Fun Tac. I'd pull the spark plug and attach a wad of Fun Tac on an end of a pencil and dip it down in the hole until the o-ring sticks to it.
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #26
Hazed_blue
2000 WJ 

Hey fellas,

I'll make a long story short for anyone who searches this thread in the future: tried all the suggestions (save for the alcohol, didn't feel comfortable sucking flammable liquid through the vacuum). Nothing worked. Ring fell in (I think?) the moment the plug was out.

Vehicle started up and ran beautifully. Nothing bad happened, not even a burp. Thank you for the info and ideas!
Unread 09-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #27
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazed_blue View Post
Hey fellas, I'll make a long story short for anyone who searches this thread in the future: tried all the suggestions (save for the alcohol, didn't feel comfortable sucking flammable liquid through the vacuum). Nothing worked. Ring fell in (I think?) the moment the plug was out. Vehicle started up and ran beautifully. Nothing bad happened, not even a burp. Thank you for the info and ideas!
I'm glad it worked out okay for you. Thanks for letting us know.

Sent from my iPad using Electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.