Coil Pack O-Ring Dropped Into Spark Plug Chamber (Pic) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coil Pack O-Ring Dropped Into Spark Plug Chamber (Pic)

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Hazed_blue
2000 WJ 

Thumbs down Coil Pack O-Ring Dropped Into Spark Plug Chamber (Pic)

Well this is a new one.

I was replacing the spark plugs on my V8, and after three of them, noticed that the coil pack o-rings were not in the best of shape. Went to remove the fourth one (rear-most passenger side, everyone's favorite), and when I pulled the coil pack up and out of the hole, I noticed that there was no o-ring attached. Unfortunately, it had degraded enough that when I went to pull the coil pack upward, it slipped off and fell into the well. The spark plug is still inserted, so the o-ring has not dropped into the cylinder yet, but obviously I can't remove the spark plug until the o-ring is retrieved. See below:

I have no idea how I would retrieve it, and I don't think letting it drop in and hoping for it to be burned up is a good idea either. I'm ready to simply re-attach everything that I can and drive it with some new, some old plugs to a shop and have them fish it out, but if there's a way I can do it safely, I'd like to.

Thoughts?

Hazed_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
RigoJeep

Since the spark plug is still attached, you can try to blow it out no?
RigoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Hazed_blue
2000 WJ 

Tried blowing it with compressed air, but it's not budging.
Unread 09-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
RigoJeep

Try turning the plug a half turn an use a small pick to try breaking it loose.
RigoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
DC99
2001 WJ 

Try using like a dentist pick to break it loose, the air.
Never mind just saw the above post.
DC99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
jetrinka
2002 WJ 

A small long pick is gonna be your best bet.
jetrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Hazed_blue
2000 WJ 

Bought some picks, but the best that I could manage was jostling it around. I also taped two tubes from the compressed air can together so that I could extend it all the way down into the well, but no joy. I thought for a moment that I might be able to get the remaining rubber to land underneath part of the hex shape of the spark plug and then pinch the rubber in between the hex part and the deep socket, but it wasn't worth the risk.

My last recourse is to take it to a shop, someone with more experience than I, and have them pull it out. I'd rather do that than accidentally have it fall in because I got impatient. Ugh.
Unread 09-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
asatxj
2001 WJ 

Shop vac? Go to a fly fishing shop and get a pair of forceps. They have long ones, should be a piece of cake with them.
Edit. Pull the plug, it's too big to just fall in and may make it easier for you to get it out with stuff you have.
ASAT= All Season All Terrain
asatxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

I'm thinking shop vac right over the hole like asatxj said. Maybe jostle it with the pick and put the shop vac right next to your hand.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What if you dump a dollop of grease there so it sticks to the spark plug when you take it out?

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
Hazed_blue
2000 WJ 

The dollop idea isn't a bad one; I mean it's small enough that I don't imagine it taking much for it to stick and come up with the rest of the spark plug. Then again, here I am after hitting it with an almost full can of air. This is more risky than some other options though because it would require that I expose the inside of the engine to do it.

In reality, would this small piece of soft rubber carry any risk if it did fall in? The more and more I'm reading, a tiny piece of rubber like this would be burned up within moments of the engine firing on. I'd rather play it safe for now though.
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
WXman
2001 WJ 

If compressed air won't blow that out, I'm shocked. If that's the case, the shop vac won't work and neither will grease on a pick. You're going to have to remove it manually with a pick or similar tool and then blow out the remaining fragments.

Personally, I WOULD NOT remove the plug under any circumstances until that is all cleaned out.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Did you try taping the small tubes to your shop vac and sucking it out? Also, maybe try a small dab of RTV silicone on the pick, or a screwdriver. Maybe it will stick to that.

Sent from my iPad using Electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
nickblack
1999 WJ 

That thing will burn up so quick that you will never notice it. Rubber is made of petroleum. I wouldn't worry so much if it fell in the combustion chamber.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
js12278
1999 WJ 

This would be a great time to buy a shop compressor. The suggestion of using compressed air was about the best. One practice that techs have come to do with engines that have spark plug wells is to remove the wires and BEFORE removing the spark plug, giving a very good shot of air with a blowgun down into the well to remove any debris that may have settled in there. I can guarantee that if you used a blowgun and an air compressor that piece would fly right out of the well. There is not enough pressure in an aerosol can of compressed air. the other thing I could suggest is a sewing pin or needle and needle nose plier, pierce the o-ring rubber with the pin and pull it out of their. If it did fall in it would likely disintegrate in no time at all, but it's not a good practice to run an engine with debris in the cylinder. You can try the grease trick on the spark plug socket, when you pull up on the socket it should bring it up as well. Good luck.
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.