Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Coil Pack O-Ring Dropped Into Spark Plug Chamber (Pic)

4K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  rdkendrick 
#1 ·
Well this is a new one.

I was replacing the spark plugs on my V8, and after three of them, noticed that the coil pack o-rings were not in the best of shape. Went to remove the fourth one (rear-most passenger side, everyone's favorite), and when I pulled the coil pack up and out of the hole, I noticed that there was no o-ring attached. Unfortunately, it had degraded enough that when I went to pull the coil pack upward, it slipped off and fell into the well. The spark plug is still inserted, so the o-ring has not dropped into the cylinder yet, but obviously I can't remove the spark plug until the o-ring is retrieved. See below:

I have no idea how I would retrieve it, and I don't think letting it drop in and hoping for it to be burned up is a good idea either. I'm ready to simply re-attach everything that I can and drive it with some new, some old plugs to a shop and have them fish it out, but if there's a way I can do it safely, I'd like to.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#7 ·
Bought some picks, but the best that I could manage was jostling it around. I also taped two tubes from the compressed air can together so that I could extend it all the way down into the well, but no joy. I thought for a moment that I might be able to get the remaining rubber to land underneath part of the hex shape of the spark plug and then pinch the rubber in between the hex part and the deep socket, but it wasn't worth the risk.

My last recourse is to take it to a shop, someone with more experience than I, and have them pull it out. I'd rather do that than accidentally have it fall in because I got impatient. Ugh.

#8 ·
Shop vac? Go to a fly fishing shop and get a pair of forceps. They have long ones, should be a piece of cake with them.
Edit. Pull the plug, it's too big to just fall in and may make it easier for you to get it out with stuff you have.

#9 ·
I'm thinking shop vac right over the hole like asatxj said. Maybe jostle it with the pick and put the shop vac right next to your hand.

#11 ·
The dollop idea isn't a bad one; I mean it's small enough that I don't imagine it taking much for it to stick and come up with the rest of the spark plug. Then again, here I am after hitting it with an almost full can of air. This is more risky than some other options though because it would require that I expose the inside of the engine to do it.

In reality, would this small piece of soft rubber carry any risk if it did fall in? The more and more I'm reading, a tiny piece of rubber like this would be burned up within moments of the engine firing on. I'd rather play it safe for now though.

#12 ·
If compressed air won't blow that out, I'm shocked. If that's the case, the shop vac won't work and neither will grease on a pick. You're going to have to remove it manually with a pick or similar tool and then blow out the remaining fragments.

Personally, I WOULD NOT remove the plug under any circumstances until that is all cleaned out.

#17 ·
This.

A piece of metal I'd be concerned about, part of a small o-ring? Eh, not so much. Pull the plug, see if the o-ring, or part of it, comes out with it. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If it really concerns you, then pull the plug, get that cylinder to TDC, and go to town with a shop vac. You could likely get some tubing/hose from the local hardware or parts store to size it down to it in the spark plug well and suck it out of the cylinder.

#15 ·
This would be a great time to buy a shop compressor. The suggestion of using compressed air was about the best. One practice that techs have come to do with engines that have spark plug wells is to remove the wires and BEFORE removing the spark plug, giving a very good shot of air with a blowgun down into the well to remove any debris that may have settled in there. I can guarantee that if you used a blowgun and an air compressor that piece would fly right out of the well. There is not enough pressure in an aerosol can of compressed air. the other thing I could suggest is a sewing pin or needle and needle nose plier, pierce the o-ring rubber with the pin and pull it out of their. If it did fall in it would likely disintegrate in no time at all, but it's not a good practice to run an engine with debris in the cylinder. You can try the grease trick on the spark plug socket, when you pull up on the socket it should bring it up as well. Good luck.

#16 ·
Yeah, after working at it for an hour or so, the well itself looks immaculate, not a trace of debris or dirt, save for the o-ring segment. The other immediate option I have available is a vacuum cleaner; I'll find a small, flexible tube and tape it to the end of the hose as suggested and see if that can grab it. You're right, I think the failing of the can of air is that the blast coming through the straw is too localized and not enough pressure, and it's not able to get underneath the rubber to lift it.

I was ready to throw in the towel and just drive it to the shop, but I'm going to give the vacuum a try. We'll see how it goes.

#22 ·
Now this is a neat idea! Good thinking with the alcohol.

You fellas have provided many ideas that I will give a try, but you've also provided some much-needed solace. I'll give these things a shot, but if it ends up falling in, I won't fret. This is another one of those times when I know enough to be informed (don't let things fall into the chamber), but not enough to be knowledgeable (rubber will burn up, it can't fall between the piston and wall and throw a rod, etc).

This may have to wait until the weekend when I have free time, but I absolutely will post back with the results. If you have more ideas or experience with items in the well and/or chamber, by all means continue posting them until then.

#20 ·
The rubbing alcohol won't hurt a thing in the cylinder. IF the o-ring floats you are gtg. Gotta post the final result!

#21 ·
Ever Heard of Blu Tac??? Seriously.. I've used a little blob of this on numerous occasions to get something out or in. In fact the last time I used it was Sunday passed where by I had a screw that there was no way in hell that it would go back in without falling off.. a dollop of Blu Tac later and Aye Viola Job Done!!!

Another possibility that I've also done is a tiny drop of Instant Glue.. even thread lock does the same.. just enough to hold it in place whilst you do what ever.. Been There Done That and my T shirt is getting pretty worn.....

#23 ·
You really think it's a good idea to run rubbing alcohol through a shop vac? :popCorn:

#24 ·
Grease, pick+air, shop vac all good suggestions but that rubber o-ring will not damage anything if it falls in and will burn up and become ash in first startup.

JW

#26 ·
Hey fellas,

I'll make a long story short for anyone who searches this thread in the future: tried all the suggestions (save for the alcohol, didn't feel comfortable sucking flammable liquid through the vacuum). Nothing worked. Ring fell in (I think?) the moment the plug was out.

Vehicle started up and ran beautifully. Nothing bad happened, not even a burp. Thank you for the info and ideas!

#27 ·
Hey fellas, I'll make a long story short for anyone who searches this thread in the future: tried all the suggestions (save for the alcohol, didn't feel comfortable sucking flammable liquid through the vacuum). Nothing worked. Ring fell in (I think?) the moment the plug was out. Vehicle started up and ran beautifully. Nothing bad happened, not even a burp. Thank you for the info and ideas!
I'm glad it worked out okay for you. Thanks for letting us know.

Sent from my iPad using Electrons

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.