code reader - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > code reader

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
meopilite
2002 WJ 

code reader

Thinking of buying a code reader. Never used one. I see WalMart has them. I dont want to spend a lot. Maybe around $100. I've heard some models can tell you gas mileage and such......

Any advice before buying one??

meopilite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

You want something beyond the WJ already being able to give you the codes for free?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
BigBeefy
2004 WJ 

Getting codes, as mentioned above, is free on the WJ.
Turn key to on-off, on-off, on and watch your odometer display the codes.
If you want something that will give you real time data, youre going to spend more than 100 bucks.
The el-cheapos from wally world will just give you a code read-out and possible even the source/problem of the code.
Check your local auto parts store for a scanner that gives you live data read-outs.
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
MadderThanMax

Wj

Don't! Unless of course you wanna pay out all your Christmas bonus on one. There's something that Chrysler/Jeep put in that doesn't allow a scanner to communicate to OBDII on the WJ vehicles. I've got two - a cheapie and an expensive one and both come up "No Codes" despite there being some displayed on the dashboard display. You can't erase them either. So in short a waste of space and $$ IMHO. Best get a friend that works with a dealer or the dealer to remove them....
MadderThanMax is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
BigBeefy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
Don't! Unless of course you wanna pay out all your Christmas bonus on one. There's something that Chrysler/Jeep put in that doesn't allow a scanner to communicate to OBDII on the WJ vehicles. I've got two - a cheapie and an expensive one and both come up "No Codes" despite there being some displayed on the dashboard display. You can't erase them either. So in short a waste of space and $$ IMHO. Best get a friend that works with a dealer or the dealer to remove them....
If you have an export model, which I am sure you do, the VIN sequences are somewhat different and the scanners dont always recognize them.
I have used many over the counter scanners that work as advertised.
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can buy Torque for $5, the OBDII WIFI dongle for $150 or OBDII Bluetooth dongle for $100 (there are MUCH cheaper China made ones for like $30 that some seem to have luck with), and a $5 window suction cup to hold your phone. Just around $100 get's you a code reader, real time data, and allows you to erase codes.

http://www.plxkiwi.com/

Edit: I have one for my WJ and it works well. My mom also has one for her Isuzu Trooper and again, it works as it should.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can buy Torque for $5, the OBDII WIFI dongle for $150 or OBDII Bluetooth dongle for $100 (there are MUCH cheaper China made ones for like $30 that some seem to have luck with), and a $5 window suction cup to hold your phone. Just around $100 get's you a code reader, real time data, and allows you to erase codes.

http://www.plxkiwi.com/

Edit: I have one for my WJ and it works well. My mom also has one for her Isuzu Trooper and again, it works as it should.
I have the same and it works well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
indept
2000 WJ 

I have this one that I keep in the jeep, works fine, got it for 39 bucks, they run sales all the time

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd...enu-98568.html

I also got this one on ebay for about 150, it reads & clears ABS codes too
http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16364
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
meopilite
2002 WJ 

Newer ones are suppose to work with any vehicle '96 and up.
meopilite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.