code p1391 and misfiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > code p1391 and misfiring

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
lemiller
2001 WJ 

code p1391 and misfiring

Hey everyone,

I have just started having in issue with my WJ. I drove home to MI from IL (4hr trip) with no issues and two days later i got in and my jeep was running real rough and "chugging" Code p1391 came up.

Now this isn't the first time i have this code, i have already replaced toe cam and crank position senors 3 times (in about a year) first two with autozone sensors and 3rd with Mopar.

I just changed the camshaft position sensor out again (4th time) with a Mopar part. After replacing it is still running real rough.

Now my question is, what else could be causing this issue? I have been reading and have seen talk of bad timing chains, or tone wheels etc.. How would i check for this? Any help diagnosing this problem would be great. I need to be back to IL by the 30th, so need to figure this out ASAP.

thanks in advance to everyone.

lemiller is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
lemiller
2001 WJ 

update, also have code P0320 showing. Which is crank position sensor. Is there anyway to test the sensor before replacing? Also how would i go about testing the harness/ connector for a short? Seeing as this is my 3rd sensor I'm thinking maybe an electrical problem with the harness or the connector.
lemiller is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
00jeepthing

mine was doing the same thing. i believe that it was that code p1391 it was throwing. i have a 4.0 and had a bad coil strip. it was around 100.00 for all new coils. they come as one unit. problem fixed.
00jeepthing is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
Skortch311
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bump.

I have the same problem/codes... Crank sensor and all three coils. I had the dealer replace just the crank sensor, it didn't do s***.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.