code p1391 and misfiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > code p1391 and misfiring

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
lemiller
2001 WJ 

code p1391 and misfiring

Hey everyone,

I have just started having in issue with my WJ. I drove home to MI from IL (4hr trip) with no issues and two days later i got in and my jeep was running real rough and "chugging" Code p1391 came up.

Now this isn't the first time i have this code, i have already replaced toe cam and crank position senors 3 times (in about a year) first two with autozone sensors and 3rd with Mopar.

I just changed the camshaft position sensor out again (4th time) with a Mopar part. After replacing it is still running real rough.

Now my question is, what else could be causing this issue? I have been reading and have seen talk of bad timing chains, or tone wheels etc.. How would i check for this? Any help diagnosing this problem would be great. I need to be back to IL by the 30th, so need to figure this out ASAP.

thanks in advance to everyone.

lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
lemiller
2001 WJ 

update, also have code P0320 showing. Which is crank position sensor. Is there anyway to test the sensor before replacing? Also how would i go about testing the harness/ connector for a short? Seeing as this is my 3rd sensor I'm thinking maybe an electrical problem with the harness or the connector.
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
00jeepthing

mine was doing the same thing. i believe that it was that code p1391 it was throwing. i have a 4.0 and had a bad coil strip. it was around 100.00 for all new coils. they come as one unit. problem fixed.
00jeepthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
Skortch311
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bump.

I have the same problem/codes... Crank sensor and all three coils. I had the dealer replace just the crank sensor, it didn't do s***.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.