Code P0432 Catalytic Converter? What? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Code P0432 Catalytic Converter? What?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Code P0432 Catalytic Converter? What?

Hi Jeepers,

My 04 Laredo has been throwing intermittent the P0432 code since right after I got it 2 years ago. Lately it's been on more than off so I went ahead and took it in.

The sheet I have says: P0432 Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 2

So I took it in expecting it needed new 02 sensors, it has 107k and I figured it was about time. The shop (a very reputable one that has done me well for years) is telling me it's the catalytic converter. What? I thought those like never went out. Can this be right? Why on earth would my catalytic converter go out anyway?

The Jeep has run rich the whole time I've had it as well, the tail pipe is coated in dark black soot. Can this be a symptom of the cat as well, or something else?

Any input appreciated, thanks!

Oh, here's the patient:

KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Running rich is one of the things that will ruin a cat. It's a myth that bad O2 sensors will throw the P0432 (or P0420 for bank 1) cat efficiency code. However, poor O2 sensors can cause a rich mixture.
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Ah, okay thanks. Rats.

So I'll need to track down this running rich issue as well or risk ruining another cat. I didn't mess with it because it's always gotten good mpg, I average about 19 with it.
Unread 01-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Zafarm
2004 WJ 

Wj

hi KayCee

what about ur P0432 err code any update.

I have a '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L and done 162000 KM. My fuel pump Seal got leaked and err code P0432 shown up. I went to My technician he check the O2 sensors(all 4) they were working well. he changed the Seal and reset the errors car was driving good n smooth after driving 400 km i got the same error again and the I observe lots of difference in pick of car and feel un-smooth drive.

let us know
Unread 01-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Wow back from the dead. ZaFarm I have the 4.0 not sure how much difference that makes on this issue.

I'm at 116k now and I still haven't fixed it. I figure its the cat, but its on and off and it is still the only code it has ever thrown so I have just ignored it. Jeep runs well and still gets above average mpg from what I've seen posted here. Its been off for about a week now. I will say as time has gone on its been on more than off.

When forced to deal with it I'm thinking about just doing a whole new Kolak exhaust for it. I've also considered doing the internet "urban legend laquer thinner burn" in it as well, at this point I'm not gonna hurt anything by doing so.

I have not had any fuel pump issues I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem or not.
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Zafarm
2004 WJ 

Thanx 4 reply
same hear still haven't fixed it and P0432 is the only code which is coming and i am sure 100% it is cat...but jeep fuel consumption is acceptable but some time it runs bit hard not smooth. (25% my of weekly drive)
any how Kolak exhaust is a good option but it is difficult to find one in Dubai
so i am thinking to go with stock....let c

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.