Code P0304?????? What do I do????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Code P0304?????? What do I do?????

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
budro69
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Code P0304?????? What do I do?????

My wife's 03 GC, had a spurt of bad behavior this afternoon. She was merging on the freeway and it began to bog and almost stalled when she about hit 70. She pulled off and it idled normal but the engine light was flashing. She called me at work and I told her to turn it off and restart it, from there it ran fine but instead of flashing the engine light just stayed on. I had her check her codes and it came up with a P0304, I couldn't find the trouble code list but thanks to a previous post and ezflip I discovered it was a #4 cyl. misfire. I don't really know what could cause this and I was hoping someone on here would have some prior knowledge that might help me out. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

budro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
mighttuss
1997 ZJ 

Well for starter my friend you need a trun up! If you are not a do it your selfer,then maybe one of your friends is. If you lived in KY I would help you. Write down the make and model of your automoble take the list to your autoparts dealer and get Spark plugs/ Spark plug wires / R-cap and button. And yes I buy them all,cause you might have someone to tell you its your spark plugs and get home and change them and start you jeep and it do the same thing it did before. So why not change it all why your under the hood.
mighttuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
budro69
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't say I am a mechanic by any means but spark plugs and wires I can usually handle. Although her car is different than anyone I have ever worked on. All the spark plugs are under this bar thing, and I see no distributor anywhere. I will take your advice and buy those things and change them, I'm fairly sure when I get them I will see where they go. Thanks for the advice mighttuss.
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
oldfamilyguy

The bar thing is the coil assembly, no distributor. take it off to get at the plugs. change them all if it hasn't been done in a while, especially look at #4 it might be obviuosly bad. There are other causes for a misfire, but go with the plugs first.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

Normally if its just one bad cylinder. You can be sure either a plug or wire is bad. I would check the wire 1st and see if you see any burn marks on the plastic. That will tell you that the insulator is bad and electricity is searching for the nearest ground.
Unread 05-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

FYI for some of you posters; WJs (99 and later Grand Cherokees) use coil on plug ignition systems with no distributor and no spark plug wires. oldfamilyguy is right on target.
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
budro69
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help, I am picking up new plugs this week
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

My 2007 JK did the same error, P0306. I installed new spark plugs and wires and it has been great ever since. Even runs smoother.. good luck!
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.