Clicking when at a stop in Drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Clicking when at a stop in Drive

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
srlincoln
2003 WJ 

Wj Clicking when at a stop in Drive

2003 WJ Grand Cherokee V6 2x4
When I'm driving around town, when I come to a stop there is a clicking sound that starts happening in the Drivers side front dash area. It's not extremely loud.

Now, if I shift it into Neutral, it goes away. If I put it back into drive at that point, it still doesn't come back. But if I continue driving and come to a stop again..clickity clickity click.

Canister Purge Valve Solenoid????

Idle seems normal at just under 1K.

Thanks for any help.

Sam

srlincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

is it a click that seems to be caused by a relay or is it a rattle? i have a rattle in the dash on the driver's side. it sounds like it is buried in there and my wife gets really mad at me cause i sit there slamming the dash with my fist at lights and on the highway (the only times it does it). i tried to explain to her that what i am doing is a very scientific, highly precise form of repair but she doesn't seem to buy it.
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
flyboy14295
2000 WJ 

Wouldn't be the Canister Purge, you can eliminate that. Its on the drivers side in the engine compartment in front of the master cylinder.

And BTW, it's an I6, not V6

New York City EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
I came into this world via broken rubber, i'm not going out the same way.
flyboy14295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy14295 View Post
Wouldn't be the Canister Purge, you can eliminate that. Its on the drivers side in the engine compartment in front of the master cylinder.

And BTW, it's an I6, not V6
Just wondering what you mean by "You can eliminate the canister purge" You mean you can get rid of it as in you dont need it??? My wifes has a slight click. clicky
Bubba3200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Could be just the vibration of the engine in drive rattleing something that is loose. Or it could just be the loud noise of the 4.0. thier known to be loud. mine rattles and clicks when its a cold start.
rkperry1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
srlincoln
2003 WJ 

Doesn't seem to be an engine rattle. I say that because shifting into neutral stops it and then shifting back to drive (while stopped) does not make it start again. You have to start driving again for a bit then come to a stop. Weird...I know. It's more of an annoyance sound than any thing. Doesn't sound like a relaying sound or just a creeking sound. Doesn't make sense that I can shift to N to make it go away and then back to D and it doesn't come back instantly...
Unread 04-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Could it be a heatshield or something else exhaust-related? Everything has a resonate frequency at which it vibrates, so a loose part might rattle at 900 rpm (when idling in gear) but stop rattling at 1000 rpm when idling in neutral.

Kinda hard to troubleshoot without being there to hear it. Maybe get the wife to hold the brake in gear while you poke your head around under the hood, behind the glovebox, underneath...

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
srlincoln
2003 WJ 

I'm going to call it "new" car jitters. It has somewhat subsided, but maybe I'm just not paying attention anymore or it has become white noise to me
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
UPJeepster
1999 WJ 

Even though it sounds like it's coming from the dash, could still be the EVAP purge solenoid. On colder days I can hear my EVAP solenoid clicking away from the cabin and it sounds like something in the dash. Now that summer is hear it is much less audible (or maybe I'm just more used to it).
UPJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.