Cleaned IAC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cleaned IAC

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 09-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
2000limited
2000 WJ 

Wj Cleaned IAC

Hey everyone, My jeep has been idling rough, RPM's jumping during idle, and just cutting off when slowing down or idling so I searched and came up with cleaning the IAC since i got a new battery and everything. I took it out, cleaned it, and put it back in. When I went to start it up it started and immediately shut off. The only way I can get it to stay on is to have my foot on the gas. I cleaned it with carbon cleaner, and when i did I did not know about twisting the IAC, and I did, and the springs were showing, but it did not look broken. After I took it out the second time to see what was going on with the IAC it looked like it did the first time I took it out. Could this problem be caused by me cleaning the IAC or breaking it??? Sucks i'm gonna have to miss work tomorrow.

2000limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

When ever you have the battery out the sensors need to relearn everything including idle points, start her up and keep your foot down at around 1100-1300rpm for a minute or two and then you should be good to go

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
2000limited
2000 WJ 

So I just did that, and there still wasn't a change. Im gonna go try it again,but I did get a P505 code when I went out there this morning
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000limited View Post
So I just did that, and there still wasn't a change. Im gonna go try it again,but I did get a P505 code when I went out there this morning
You mean P0505,
Thats IAC Failure.
You can test an IAC valve.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
2000limited
2000 WJ 

Yep, thats it, sorry I was missing the 0 at the beginning, and how would I go about that? I played with the plunger a bit reading around on the forum and pushed it all the way in, so I don't know if I screwed it up or not.
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
2000limited
2000 WJ 

A little update, after going to autozone to get a new IAC me and my co worker came back to install it. I was telling him about how far it was, and somehow he got it screwed back in. We put the old one back in and started it up, it ran but idled at about 2000RPM, which sounds like the symptoms of a new one. We took it for a drive and tried to maintain 40mph but it's rush hour so we were really doing 55-60. It still did it when we parked it. My question is is there anything else I can do so the computer can reset it? if not i'll just try again when i'm on my way to work again tonight.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.