Cladding heat! :-) (want a cheap mod?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cladding heat! :-) (want a cheap mod?)

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 05-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Cladding heat! :-) (want a cheap mod?)

Well, I had some boring time today so I thought I'd break out the heat gun and try my cladding. a few hours later, and it's done.

As far as write-ups it's pretty simple: Get a decent heat gun from your favorite hardware store (Ace, Lowe's, HD, etc..). Then, go wash your Jeep so the cladding is nice and clean. Then it's just a process of heating the plastic in 6x2 squares, keeping a "wet" edge. You heat it until it JUST starts to look "wet" and keep moving. I sort of "shake" the heat gun back and fourth slightly to keep the plastic around the part I'm "melting" hot enough to blend in.

Really it's not that difficult. most guys will probably tell you to cover the paint and the headlights, etc. I didn't...I was just very careful and didn't hurt anything. it qualifies as a cheap mod because it doesn't cost much. 20 bucks or so for the heat gun and another few dollars or so in electricity costs. (it does take a couple of hours)

This is the a picture of the day I brought the Jeep home. Foggy headlights, chalky colored cladding, etc...

Here's a view of most of the process done on one side, minus the cladding on the back door. BIG difference!

Here's the passenger side finished

And a view of the back including the rear bumper

And the money shot, IMO... Lights need another polish this season, but they look much better than the day I got it last year. With that cladding dark, the whole thing just looks so much sharper.

Unread 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
jeep04
2004 WJ 

That's crazy that taking a heat gun to it made such a huge difference, looks good.
04 Jeep wj Limited 4.7 <> 6.5" Iron Rock long arms front & Adjustable lowers on rear <> Bilstein 5100's <> 285/70r17 Goodyear Duratracs <> M/T black classic lock wheels <> Addco swaybars <> Superchips 3875 <> Magnaflow Stainless exhaust <> 2 Kicker comp 12's <> Kenwood head unit.
jeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Ravie, our Jeeps are long lost twins, haha. Anyways, shoulda saw the group of neighbors that gathered around me last summer when I did that to mine. They all thought I was nuts and was going to melt my plastic, boom looks fantastic, they were speechless xD.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.