Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cherokee or Grand Cherokee?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

17 mpg on a v8 is a gas pig.????

99 - 04 Grand Cherokee Mopar Trackbar
NP 242HD Transfer Case

WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCkeDuDe View Post
17 mpg on a v8 is a gas pig.????
actually avg 17 with a V8 is respectable

I know TONS of ppl that would kill for 17mpg in there V8 trucks,

1, if your WJ is only doing 17 on the hi-way than something is wrong and you need to reconsider how your maintaining your jeep

2, if its 17 avg in the city than good for you

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeDrifter View Post
I will be using it to pull a small camper with a motorcycle hanging off the back so some power is needed along with mileage. How is the 4.7 on mileage?
This question always irks me a touch.

I have the 4.0 I-6 and my father recently sold his with the 4.7 V-8.

The 4.7 can get as much as 24 (regularly with careful driving) and the 4.0 can get UP TO 17 with careful driving.

IE the much more powerful engine is also much more fuel efficient.

Yeah, the only reason I have the i-6 is because my father told me that I should get it to save on fuel economy, two weeks after I bought the thing he tells me that he found out the 8 does much better.

I personally typically get around 12-13 city and 14-17 hwy. Once I did get 19 on a tank, but that was in Wyoming, and who knows what the winds did for me there. I now have about 40K that I put on the jeep, and the jeep is in the 180k total mileage range.

If you can read this thank a teacher; if you can read it in English, thank an Airman, Sailor, Soldier or Marine
Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #19
commodus192
2002 WJ 

"17 mpg on a v8 is a gas pig.????" -

Considering my 94 Buick Roadmaster station wagon with a LT1 5.7 gets 24mpg consistently with over 200,000 miles, it is my opinion that 17 mpg would classify it as a pig on gas - I certainly don't exclaim to others "wow - this tiny V8 is GREAT on gas!" -lol. I say that tongue in cheek of course, that is just my opinion. People are free to feel that it is respectable/reasonable/expected/economical if they would like! lol
commodus192 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #20
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodus192 View Post
"17 mpg on a v8 is a gas pig.????" -

Considering my 94 Buick Roadmaster station wagon with a LT1 5.7 gets 24mpg consistently with over 200,000 miles, it is my opinion that 17 mpg would classify it as a pig on gas - I certainly don't exclaim to others "wow - this tiny V8 is GREAT on gas!" -lol. I say that tongue in cheek of course, that is just my opinion. People are free to feel that it is respectable/reasonable/expected/economical if they would like! lol
your comparing apple to oranges.....
a 2wd hi-way cruiser family car to a 4x4 truck (pretty much)
but again if a WJ (stock) is only getting under 19-21 on the hi-way than something is wrong, probably just maintenance that needs done

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #21
MrKeebler26
1994 ZJ 

I love my Grand... So much so that I am on my 3rd and I just bought the lady a WJ that nearly matches mine. Tons of aftermarket parts and when built right, they will wheel with anything else on the trail. And you are riding on leather w/ the A/C blairing while the open tops are baking in the sun you knowthat you made the right choice. haha.
MrKeebler26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #22
commodus192
2002 WJ 

You're right - it IS apples and oranges. The original question, posed by a person that isn't even reading this anymore, wanted to know the difference between the Cherokee and the Grand. Me, my loving self, is throwing him my opinion that one of the notable differences between the two, is the gas mileage, I don't know how anyone could possibly deny the difference between the two. I used the word "pig" to describe that difference - I don't see what the big deal is being jovially honest.

But - the guy wanted to know the difference - and with gas nearly 4 bucks a gallon still, knowing a person's thoughts on fuel economy ranks right up there with seat comfort. Maybe I should have wrote "the grand is not as good". I have owned my Overland since brand new...it's got 210k on it.....it has gotten the same mpg since new. I merely provided the man with my opinion.
commodus192 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #23
CheapGuy
2005 WK 

I recently got rid of my 95 Cherokee for a 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.0 and frankly, I don't really notice a huge difference in gas mileage. The Cherokee obviously seems like it was quicker but I've found that I like the more refined nature of the GC, which means I guess I'm getting older. The Cherokee just seem like a more raw truck, with wind noise, rattles and a much rougher ride. It seemed like punishment to drive more than 100 miles, while the GC I could probably take cross country.

The GC just seems like a better build car, again, obviously because it IS a much more recent design. I've also found the GC easier to work on, for example, try changing the rear shocks on a Cherokee. - took about 20 minutes to install the Bilsteins on the GC, same for the headunit, front axle, etc., etc. I haven't had the opportunity to take it off road or in snow yet so I can't give an opinion yet in that area.

But the main reason why I like the GC over the Cherokee is because in my case, with a 95, the GC is just a safer car and I have a new driver in the family. The 95 only had one airbag and no antilock brakes, so from a safety perspective, it was time to "upgrade".
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
jimmyt53
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i own a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo,whats different from the 2000 Cherokee sport .does the sport have a frame under it,or similar to the grand Cherokee. not talking bells whistles,but structure wise????
jimmyt53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #25
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt53 View Post
i own a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo,whats different from the 2000 Cherokee sport .does the sport have a frame under it,or similar to the grand Cherokee. not talking bells whistles,but structure wise????
neither of them have frames under them...

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt53 View Post
What's different? Oh only everything. Some similarties in the I6 engines but every part of the vehicle architecture is different.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #27
Jeepgcl9947

It irritates me when people call the 4.7 v8 tiny, the 4.7 is a power house for its size I agree but it's not really small. Like look at ford trucks they have the 4.6 that was a horribly underpowered truck. The 4.7 dodge rams run great and would flat out smoke a ford 4.6. Look at foreign cars.. Such as BMW, land rover and such with 4.0 and 4.3 v8s in vehicles larger than a wj. Ford even had a 3.7 v8 once. So compared to many I would not consider a 4.7 a small v8. Especially in the vehicle it's strapped in. The wj.
Jeepgcl9947 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #28
Jeepgcl9947

I wish I could push 17 mpg city out of my wj, it did once upon a time before we got the good ole reformulated fuel. Now I avg 13 in the city and 17 on the high way. Got about 14 before cams.
Jeepgcl9947 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.