Check engine light on but no codes?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Check engine light on but no codes??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
tkcarp01
1999 WJ 

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/transmission.htm

tkcarp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #17
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the link and a lot of good info!

Well kept my dealer service appt today and turned out it wasn't a bad sensor at all but a "broken" wire to a sensor. Didn't actually see it but looked like a couple feet from the connector. Hate to say this, and didn't tell them, but wires don't just break there while sitting and has to be one the critters around here bit through it! Time to get another 25'-50' of convoluted tubing and cover every dam wire/hose like I've had to do on my other Jeeps. And hoping the don't still use a sugar-based adhesive on the friction tape on 2004 wiring because that's like dessert to the mice/chipmunks!

Glad I didn't have to pay anything since it only took the mechanic 2 hours to fix the break after finding it. That's only about an hour/$90 a wire!

Went over and got it detailed/carpets cleaned afterwards for free since they didn't have time to do it before I bought it. Talked to the good-ole-boy guy when he was cleaning it and told him I sure wish I had some rubber mats in it. He proceeded to pull a full set (2 fronts, 1 wide rear, 1 cargo liner) of Weather-tech custom fit floor mats out of a corner of the shop which fit a WJ and said you can have these. Jackpot, and he even had the kid working power-wash them for me! I've price a whole set new and they're $300. Wish they were tan like the interior, instead of gray, but they'll do for now.

A pretty good day, trans shifting fine, no check engine light, and some new/used mats!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
tkcarp01
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb
Thanks for the link and a lot of good info!

Well kept my dealer service appt today and turned out it wasn't a bad sensor at all but a "broken" wire to a sensor. Didn't actually see it but looked like a couple feet from the connector. Hate to say this, and didn't tell them, but wires don't just break there while sitting and has to be one the critters around here bit through it! Time to get another 25'-50' of convoluted tubing and cover every dam wire/hose like I've had to do on my other Jeeps. And hoping the don't still use a sugar-based adhesive on the friction tape on 2004 wiring because that's like dessert to the mice/chipmunks!

Glad I didn't have to pay anything since it only took the mechanic 2 hours to fix the break after finding it. That's only about an hour/$90 a wire!

Went over and got it detailed/carpets cleaned afterwards for free since they didn't have time to do it before I bought it. Talked to the good-ole-boy guy when he was cleaning it and told him I sure wish I had some rubber mats in it. He proceeded to pull a full set (2 fronts, 1 wide rear, 1 cargo liner) of Weather-tech custom fit floor mats out of a corner of the shop which fit a WJ and said you can have these. Jackpot, and he even had the kid working power-wash them for me! I've price a whole set new and they're $300. Wish they were tan like the interior, instead of gray, but they'll do for now.

A pretty good day, trans shifting fine, no check engine light, and some new/used mats!
You can send me those grey ones! I accept donations!
tkcarp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcarp01 View Post
You can send me those grey ones! I accept donations!
While I appreciate your help maybe not that much, lol.

Well my bubble is burst on the full set of Weathertech floor liners w/includes the cargo liner. Even after the dealer kid had cleaned them up there was a little bit of oil residue on the backside so wasn't going to put them down on my newly cleaned carpet. So cleaned them up like new today, tried to put them in my 2004 WJ, and they don't fit!

Since there's a part number on the back of each mat did some searching and they all fit a 2002-2007 KJ Liberty. Just great and I'm going to try to sell them in classified or craigslist for about $100 since they list new for $315. Then I'll buy the tan ones I want! As usual if things are too good to be true they usually are!

Unread 07-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #20
multmigs
2003 WJ 

I tried repeatedly to buy used weathertech on ebay for my WJ and gave up because there was so many bids it was almost the price of new ones! I'd highly suggest you sell them on there and buy what you want. FYI Husky liner ones I got are very nice and were definitely less $$
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I'm bring this thread I started almost 2 months since have a question. Is it typical for the "O/D Off" indicator light to come on and then go off on the left side of the dash every time I start my 04 limited? And is there a button somewhere for turning the OD on/off?

After they fixed the broken trans wire it seems to be shifting fine. At 55mph it's at only 1,500 rpm so would think the OD is working. My gas mileage isn't all that great but the plugs aren't very good and will probably change them out tomorrow.

I've loaned it to my grown son a couple times and he asked why there isn't anything showing on the left display? The only other light I've seen on it is when it's time to buckle up the seat belt.

Thanks for any input!

Unread 09-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

The O/D button is on the side of the trans selector handle.

Never noticed on mine if the O/D light come on then off on start up. But all the dash lights seem to when I start it.

gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

OK, thanks! Nice to know where the OD button is and I'll check it out to make sure it isn't turned off.

Yeah, know what you mean about all the display lights coming on when first turning the key on. But would think it should read "O/D On" instead of "O/D Off" unless it really is off.

Unread 09-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
james_2k
2009 WK 

its the bulb check isnt it? all the warning lights should come on when you start up. then go off again. im sure my 'OD-off' one does. you wouldnt want an OD-on light as it would be on most (if not all) of the time.

it comes on when you manually deselect OD from the shifter button. (i sometimes use it when im about to overtake someone to reduce the shifting lag.)
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #25
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, it's just the check light which comes on like all the rest when you first start it up and then they all go off. Understand you wouldn't want the the OD-on most the time since that would be annoying.

Point I was trying to make is you would think it would read "OD on" as a test which is default rather than "OD off". But like you said there probably isn't even an "OD On" light since it's on most all the time. I did play around a little with the OD button on the side of the shifter today and nice to know it's there. Thanks for the input!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.