Check Engine Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Check Engine Light

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
creaky

Check Engine Light

Hi, haven't been back for a few years, hoping for some help with my 1999 Grand Cherokee. My check engine light came on recently. It is intermittent, on and off.. The engine is a rebuilt with about 20K. No one seems to be able to figure it out--not my good mechanic and not the Jeep dealer. Anyone else encountered this problem? Am I facing trouble if I drive it with the warning light on? My wife's 05 Magnum Hemi has had the light on for years, no problem.

Anyone know what's going on, how to fix it--a loose wire and short (on and off), real problem that no one can find, malfunction, don't worry?

Thanks - Mike

creaky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

Do you have a CEL code. If not you can do the key dance which is turn the ignition switch to on 3 times with out starting it and code should show up in the odometer location or take it to autozone or someone like that to get the code.
weaselsmopar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Which engine?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
creaky

No idea about CEL code, I guess I find it, look it up, go from there. But how come my Jeep dealer doesn't know that, nobody ever mentioned. Jeep Forum is great!
Unread 01-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
creaky

Not sure about engine and can never remember the number--but try this. The original was a 5. something, the biggest. The rebuilt has an area that says 4.7 or 4.8--snowing and can't check. I have been told the current is the worst of the engines from that time. I just assumed the original would be replaced by the same engine--my Jeep dealer was a mistake to do the job--downsized me and charged an exorbitant amount of money. All another story!
Unread 01-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Well...that's a problem. Even if we know the code we cannot give good advice without knowing that.
It's like saying to the veterinarian over the phone that "I have a pet with stripes that is not feeling well...what do you think I should do?"

Now... the confusing part is that if it truly was a 5.9 previously (the biggest one) you do not own a 99 Grand Cherokee. You have a 98 Grand Cherokee (the 5.9 was a 1998 only engine). If it WAS a 5.2L, you still do not have a 99 Grand Cherokee and it is actually a 1998 or older.

In any case, If the shop put in a 4.0, and that is what is in there now, then yes you lost a ton of power and it was probably expensive and we still need the code but you are best off going to the ZJ forum to ask.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 01-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
creaky

I get it, makes perfect sense to me. The original was a 5.7. The transplant I will take a look later today. I guess I will try to get the code then. What happens after I get the code--how do I make the odometer area clear again?

You are saying that each different engine will have a different code or a different problem for the code? Obviously I am not mechanically inclined and a nervous old guy. Anyway I will try the code later, fingers crossed. Thanks
Unread 01-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

The code that it will give you if the car can do that I am not sure but that might have been a feature on the 99 and above GC's If it is an older GC then I would take it to like an autozone and they will scan it for free. Then from there you can either look up the code online of goto the correct forum for the GC and then ask a question here or there depending on the Model and motor you have in your GC. Good Luck.
Unread 01-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
creaky

I thought this was a GC forum. Mine was born a 99 GC according to VIN, other records, but it has a rebuilt engine that is different. I am going to try, if I have to go to autozone or whatever can they find the code with a changed engine? GC forum not on this site?
Unread 01-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

It is in fact a GC forum, yes. The issue then becomes generational for which forum you need to be in. There were so many GCs produced over the years that one forum for all of the different generations would be chaos to find what someone is looking for.

You are in the 99-04 forum for the Grand Cherokee. The generation "code" for this specific Grand Cherokee is the WJ.
For the generation before the WJ...(93-98) is the ZJ.

There's a new problem with your revised engine information; they never made a 5.7L for the WJ so that was not the original either.

You can make the odometer clear just by turning the key to off.
Unread 01-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #11
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

Ok here is a really stupid question is it possible that they installed a 5.2 liter into a WJ instead of the 4.7.
Unread 01-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
corpulent
2004 WJ 

The Startech WJ was a 5.5L...
corpulent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #13
wadewen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Let's try this:

Take a picture of your engine and post it on here. We can probably tell you what engine you have.
Also, You'll find a link to a build sheet thread below. You can enter your vin on that link to get your original info.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...t-now-2349497/
wadewen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2016, 08:11 PM   #14
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

Yeah I doubt he spent 25K for one of those. But you never know
Unread 01-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

with only 9 posts he's not going to be able to attach a pic and he probably is not too savvy with linking a pic to a different location.

Even the build sheet won't be of any help as the engine was changed from what came in it originally.

5.2? Unlikely and maybe not even possible in a WJ given a typical garage as opposed to a full-on fab shop. I believe the engine height and block V degree is too far away from the 4.7 to make that a simple swap and trust me...one of us would have already tried.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.