Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cheaper vs Expensive Cat Back Exhaust

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  MWF 
#1 ·
Hello All, Has anyone every bought a Cat Back exhaust for there WJ? I am considering one from ebay for $159.99, but not sure it would have a drone sound in cabin while on highway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2004-C...ash=item4881d93f8b:g:66QAAOSwMmBVv67M&vxp=mtr

2nd choice is Borla exhaust for $417.56. I have read that this exhaust doesn't give much droning sound?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4-93c8-43ff-8639-e7979e7d1787&pf_rd_i=desktop

Please chime in, has anyone had one or other? what is your experience with it.

Thanks.

2002 WJ Limited Quadra Drive 4.7 V8 Soon to have K&N Cold air intake

#2 ·
The sound is a big deal for me. Drone and excessive noise in a DD and weekend wheeler would drive me nuts. There are plenty of YouTube videos on the Borla. Also if you read the from COLT exhaust, their tag line is "IF it is too loud you are TOO old". Also construction, the Borla is made of mandrel bent aircraft stainless which will flow and last longer than the other. Just my two cents

#3 ·
I would say it's user preference on the sound you want from your exhaust. I run and super 44 and love the sound of it. Also you can contact kolak and he might beable to help you out with and exhaust system that will be cheaper then the borla and still have a good sound to it. Performance wise you will not see a difference between a cheaper exhaust and a borla system.

#6 ·
That ebay one is just 2.25" piping with a knock off Flowmaster muffler. Its actually smaller then the 2.5" factory piping on your limited. Unless you plan on going to a 3" exhaust your better off just welding a new muffler on your factory exhaust (assuming its not all rotted out). Go on youtube there are plenty of wj exhaust videos on there and find a sound you like. Two things to keep in mind are that the longer the muffler the quieter it will be & any exhaust setup has the potential for drone some more then others. If you find your setup has a lot of drone you can either install a glasspack as a resonator or use a resonated exhaust tip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.