cheap and easy tow hooks for WJ (writeup) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cheap and easy tow hooks for WJ (writeup)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #31
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

yea if you did that, you might pull the frame off the jeep before the hook gives lol, but i put the hooks in there because the local jeep club requires a tow point on the front just incase so thats why im doing this, i dont really want to have a plate welded into the frame because i do want to put a brush guard on the jeep at a later date and then i will prob re-do the hooks, since i think they will be in the way of a brush guard mount (not sure tho, never seen one) and i do minor wheeling, so i wont be using these hooks all day everyday, just for those just in case situations

Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

and narnwv, if i ever got an after-market bumper or brush guard id re-do the hooks
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #33
WJlover
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
This sounds like a good idea.

Just remember, most bumpers mount in those frame rails. so if you ever upgrade to a metal bumper, you're going to have fitment issues unless you build the bumper yourself.
their both good ideas just ones better lol.
but by the time im able to actually afford a metal bumper, ill be able to afford a custom metal bumper
plus i may just go with a prerunner kit rather than a big heavy spring sagging behemoth.
prerunner would be good for me anyways because the highest ill ever go is 4" and thats only if the wallet allows it. so de to the smaller lift, i need to do other mods for clearance.
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #34
WJlover
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2mrg View Post
yea if you did that, you might pull the frame off the jeep before the hook gives lol, but i put the hooks in there because the local jeep club requires a tow point on the front just incase so thats why im doing this, i dont really want to have a plate welded into the frame because i do want to put a brush guard on the jeep at a later date and then i will prob re-do the hooks, since i think they will be in the way of a brush guard mount (not sure tho, never seen one) and i do minor wheeling, so i wont be using these hooks all day everyday, just for those just in case situations
honestly, i only did these hooks as a quick fix for a groups requirements. didnt think id ever have to use them as i too only do light wheeling, and hardly get to do it. but on this one trail, that i had done before, my 4x4 wasnt working and we had to use the hooks. i expected them at the time to come flying off, i was nervous as hell but they held up and held up strong!
Unread 08-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #35
waxon
2000 WJ 

Crawled this thread. Just got some 10k rated hooks from a junkyard. For 12 bucks for the pair. May do this once it gets cooler out. More for Looks and the possibility of needing a recovery point up front.
Unread 08-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #36
ARdirty
2001 WJ 

Pull-a-part
I was on the notification for any wjs that came in and a sweet v8 limited exactly like mine came in with minimal steering damage due to a wreck. Why anyone would call this totalled is beyond me but i managed to pick up 2 tow hooks with mounting brackets, 2 hood supports and the grille subframe all for 55$!
ARdirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #37
WJlover
1999 WJ 

i know this is old but i wanted to update you guys on my own hooks.

no pictures right now, but ill be hand siping my tires tomorrow and ill take the pictures then.

but anyways, i really got to try out my hooks awhile back when i decided to go wheeling without my front driveshaft.
goes without saying eventually i got stuck, VERY stuck. one back wheel sitting in a deep flooded rut, other three on wet mud. one wheel with traction wasnt going to get me out.

after about an hour along comes a stock f-150 driven by a 17 year old girl to save the day (what an ego crusher)
first we tried pulling me forward. hooked up my strap to the hooks (what i did here was a BAD idea...
i ran the strap right through both hooks and then to the back of her truck. pulled the hell out of me, couldnt get me out, eventually the strap fell off because she backed up to far, but i then noticed i bent my hooks inward. (the way i set up the strap created a squeeze effect on them. dumb mistake in a desperate situation, we all have them)
the frame points are what bent inward. the hooks and plates i have installed stayed perfectly intact. when pulling on them the PROPER way, they never budged or bent. and she was pulling HARD (her first time doing any recovery, i thought she was going to rip my jeep in half!)

so the hooks hold up, until dumb mistakes are made.
i still stand by my solution!

oh and in case anyones wondering, eventually we decided to pull from the rear, pulled my whole left side into the deep flooded rut (i thought i was going to be drinking muddy water, ALMOST tipped) and then pulled me straight back.
MAN was that water cold though.
Unread 12-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #38
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

Did mine the same as yours, just with a larger thicker chunk of steel, and put a third bolt through the frame and plate. Bounced it off a couple steep inclines yesterday, and not a single deformity. I've seen the stock hooks, and how anybody can say they'd be stronger, is beyond me.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #39
LilLuKe
2004 WJ 

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=46727303809
LilLuKe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #40
WJlover
1999 WJ 

1 hook for 40 bucks.
i made 2 for less that work just fine.

oh, i forgot pictures!
coming up, if my phone works today
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #41
Christianofojai
2000 WJ 

this is sutch a good idea. i am going to do this as soon as posible.instead of using one 1/4 plate ill sandwitch the fraim with 2 1/8 steel plates.
Christianofojai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.