Chasing yet another rear end noise, looking for input - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Chasing yet another rear end noise, looking for input

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Wj Chasing yet another rear end noise, looking for input

I've been through the ringer on the back end of my Jeep and I've still got noise. I've already spent thousands but I'm not going to tell you on what just yet, I'd like you to have a fresh unskewed perspective.

Here's the noise description...it's loud and generally occurs just after start up from having been parked. It's a loud creaking, groaning, almost sawing type sound that also sounds rotational like it's matching a tire or something, but it's not a tire rub. Taking a turn immediately after the Jeep having been parked will usually set it off, but it also will do it just driving straight down the street with no bumps. After 5-10 minutes of driving its generally gone. Bumps will sometimes set it off but usually not, and it will do it driving straight down a smooth straight-away. All of this is usually notable at low city driving speeds, I'm not hearing much at highway speeds.

The only thing I can find in the back that has any movement at all is the sway bar and it barely has play, and I can't see why a sway bar would be making creaking/groaning/sawing noises on a straight-away so I'm not thinking that's it. There are so many new parts in the back I'm starting to wonder if this can ever be fixed.

EDIT: I have another suspicion, input please! Link is below...it will take you to aJeep Forum advertising link, then click on "Take to link destination" it will play the audio. Audio will play with VLC player or Windows Media player. Thanks!

http://images.imagelinky.com/1312393888.WMA

Any input greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by KayCeeJeep; 08-03-2011 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Audio added later post also
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Spider gears in the rear diff?
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Axle bearings

Spider gears and or carrier bearings?

slightly dragging brake (park brake shoe inside the drum)

Any way to get a video of this?

You can test if it's the sway bar by disconnecting the links on it. You'll be fine driving without it connected, just no abrupt turns. (not like that puny bar helps much)

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Thanks guys for the suggestions. A bunch of good guesses and some interesting ideas, here's what's already been fixed.

New rear axle, both sides.
New differential rebuild.
Bearings, both sides twice now as the bent axles were eating them up (and the differential) before they were discovered.
Brakes torn apart and inspected.

I don't have video but have access to a digital recorder, maybe I'll try that but I'm not sure how to post it.

I'm going to try disconnecting the sway bar and see what that does. The shocks are original Mopar with 84k on them could they make those kind of noises?
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Okay, here's an audio of the creaking/groaning/sawing noises I'm dealing with. They are intermittent...ignore all the other varied dub noises that can confuse the issue, I'm just chasing this one at the moment.

The first series I captured is a series of 3 or 4 around 10-15 seconds in.

The second are not as loud but are at about 1:40 in.

This creaking/sawing noise is frustrating as it's intermittent, corners will set it off sometimes, bumps sometimes, sometimes it starts for no apparent reason, and often times there is no noise at all.

I have another suspicion, input please! Link is below...it will take you to aJeep Forum advertising link, then click on "Take to link destination" it will play the audio. Audio will play with VLC player or Windows Media player. Thanks!

http://images.imagelinky.com/1312393888.WMA
Unread 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
chris62
2000 WJ 

Yup!! thats just about the sound that Im experiencing as well, on a GC.2000. 4.7. V8. My mechanic swears its the transfer-case, differential.
chris62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Yeah, I don't think that is what it is. Such a creaking/groaning has to have something to do with suspension some how I would think, plus they just rebuilt the differential on this one two weeks ago. It was making this noise before that, but it's gotten worse and it is clearly coming from the right rear, not the middle.

P.S. My differential actually was bad, terrible whining/growling and the gears wear all pitted.
Unread 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
slightly dragging brake (park brake shoe inside the drum)?
According to my shop, you got it narnwv. They've been digging around on the thing for two days and that's what they found.

I'm not convinced yet, I'll drive it all weekend first but I thought I'd post this for posterity.
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
chris62
2000 WJ 

Hi!

My whining sound is ONLY whining when driving straight forward but when turning say hard left or hard right the whining becomes more of a high creaking or roaring sound, its terrible.
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
jimh989
2002 WJ 

Just a guess but back when I was running parts for a dealer we had a GMC Saferi that made simmular sounds intermitintly. They let it go for a few months untill clearly something had to be done..... Drive shaft U-Joints.....one was actually broke inside the cap. Just a thought you may look into or maybe you already have.
Jim
jimh989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
chris62
2000 WJ 

Hi Jim!

Well I actually had a mechanic examining the diff, drive-shaft, etc, he didnt say anything about the drive-shaft but commented on the diff, once taken apart, said the gears inside the diff were worn and burnt??
Unread 08-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
jimh989
2002 WJ 

Dana 44a???? I am looking at getting a 02 wj and I think thats the rear diff it has, I don't know how I feel about an alum. diff. but it is what it is. I currently have a zj with 226K.
I here that around 100K they may start to wine and in bad cases growl.
jimh989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
aussie57
2003 WJ 

Wj Chasing yet another rear end noise, looking for input

Hi KayCee,

I have a WJ/WG 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland...WG is the model here in Australia.

I have had the same problem on the right side rear....it drove me crazy. I replaced the rear disc pads checked the handbrake shoes and had the hand brake re-adjusted and it still did the grinding noise, one thing I have done that has not been mentioned on these posts is to get the rear discs machined, this seems to have stopped the noise on my GC.

I think there is more end float on the right side axle and as the brake pads wear down, so does the disc, a raised bead towards the inside centre of the disc forms and the disc touches the backing plate, since the machining the noise has disappeared.

At least that is my theory on the problem, try getting the discs machined or replace them with new discs.
aussie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Thanks Aussie,

The shop cleaned and adjusted the parking/e-brake and it's gone. They didn't even charge me. I'm shocked, I really didn't think that a parking brake would make a noise like that. It definitely didn't sound like a brake I thought so it's good information to know, I imagine what you're describing could create much the same result.
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:50 AM   #15
chris62
2000 WJ 

Hi!

Apparently I had an oil-spill ( from the differential ) over my parking-brake, contaminating the parking brake, etc. Might be worth checking this brake for noise, before I spend all that money on a new axle and diff?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.