Changed transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Changed transmission

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
bassfisher999wj
1999 WJ 

Changed transmission

hey guys

My jeep was shifting real rough/sticking from 1st gear to second. I work at a bodyshop at a chevy dealer so I decided to bring it to the mechanic there.

He told me he found pieces of metal in the transmission fluid and that it had to be replaced. He says this was all caused by a valve that wouldn't let enough fluid in. So I bough a rebuilt transmission.

I got it back today and was disappointed. It now starts rough as hell, makes a krrrrr-krrrrrrrrrr-krrrrrrrrr noise more at high speeds and when I let go of the gas it also makes another noise.

Could this all be caused by something he did wrong? Don't really want to go and tell the guy he messed up because I know the guy.

bassfisher999wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
bassfisher999wj
1999 WJ 

My 4 inch lift puts the lower control arms at quite the angle, but I don't think that this could cause the noise, could it? I've had my lift on for a couple months now.
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

When you say it "starts" rough, you mean it starts MOVING rough, or it sounds rough when you start the engine?

If the guy messed up, he needs to know it. Are you sure he knew what he was doing? Being a Chevy mechanic, possibly he wasn't experienced at working on other makes.
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
bassfisher999wj
1999 WJ 

When I start the engine.

He specializes in transmission at the garage. Guess I just feel bad going back and complaining because I know when a client comes back to the bodyshop they are always trying to cheat us.
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Well, I would take it back to him, tell him what's going on and give him a ride in the Jeep. Once he hears the noises that it's making, it should be obvious to him that you've got a legit problem.

I would do it soon though. The longer you wait, the more likely he is to suspect you of abusing the transmission since he put it in.

Have you checked the fluid and stuff to make sure he filled it properly?
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
bassfisher999wj
1999 WJ 

Didn't check it, got home and too depressed.

I'm pretty sure he heard it. When he returned it to me he said something like "runs good now apart from your other problems".
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Other problems, eh? Did he mention what the "other problems" were? This guy sounds suspicious.

And you had no problems or noises like that before the swap, right?
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
bassfisher999wj
1999 WJ 

My shocks might have made a little bit of noise which he said at the beginning, but apart from that, no.
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

I would take it back to the mechanic, give him a ride so that he can hear and feel exactly what's going on, and tell him respectfully that you think the transmission was either defective or improperly installed since you had no such noises before the new transmission.

If he insists that the noise was there before, then take the Jeep to a different shop and have them diagnose the noise and print you out a repair sheet stating what they think the noise is and about how much it will cost to repair it.
If the independent shop tells you it's a transmission problem, then this guy who did your tranny has most likely screwed up either in the rebuild or the install, and doesn't want to own up to it.

Keep us updated, if it turns out this guy is trying to screw you DO NOT let him get away with it!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.