chain guide and tensioner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > chain guide and tensioner

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

chain guide and tensioner

My 02 WJ 4.7 has a loud ticking in in the front passenger side of the valve cover until it warms up. I assumed it was lash adjusters and changed them all out but while doing this I noticed the timing chain looked a little bit loose(quarter inch or a hair more).The ticking also did not go away. So now I am leaning towards installing new chain guides and the tensioners this weekend.
Can I replace the timing chain guides and tensioners without having to mess with the timing or pulling the valve covers again? That drivers side is a pain

Jeep has 65k I don't think I need to do a full timing kit plus I'm to broke for that.

tommyooooooh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Are you sure it's internal? Take a long socket extension, place the open end in your ear and the solid end on the valve cover, it acts like a big stethoscope and allows you to hear specific areas better.

Do this and place it on the PCV valve, which is located on the oil filler neck (the exact area you're talking about). I replaced mine with a new one and the little metal piece inside rattles like none other. Sounds like a tick, but if you place the extension right on it you can clearly hear that's the source of the noise.

Another possibility is the exhaust manifolds will often leak, which often sounds like a loud tick until the car warms up.
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

Im 99% sure its internal. I used a mechanics stethoscope on everything and the ticks in the front of the valve cover and i can follow the sound down into the timing cover. If i remove the timing chain tensioner and guides would it affect the position of the timing chain causing me to have to reset the timing.
Unread 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Well I do know first hand that when the 4.7 is not running..the driver side chain will feel loose .. I thought the same thing on mine so I replaced it or all of them and no change..
Unread 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Oh and you cannot replace tensioner or chains without removing valve covers or timming cover.. not hard job but there is a lot involved. Get a Chilton's if ur gonna do it
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

I dont want to replace the chains yet i couldn't imagine they'd be stretched out at only 65,000 miles. I just want to replace the chain guides and the tensioners so at least if the tick doesn't go away ill know Ive changed everything I can think of. I would think that'd i'd be ok to just pull the front cover to do it all. I have a chiltons book and in the pictures make it look like i would be able to take off the guides through a couple port on the heads just under the valve cover.
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

its also weird the drivers side chain feels loose when the engines off. Thats what lead me to believe that the tensioner was going out. I just don't fully understand why it quiets up after the engine warms up for a couple minutes. I haven't been driving it since i got the ticking and saw how loose the chain was I'm kind of scared of the chain skipping a tooth.
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Can u verify that its coming from the timming cover? Sounds like exhaust leak
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

my only verification is a stethoscope and the hammer hitting the valve cover sound for the first 2 minutes of start up. Only other thing i could think to eliminate that out of the picture would be to change the exhaust manifold gasket.

Someone did throw out the theory of an oil pump not pumping out enough oil to properly pressure up the tensioner? not sure of this theory gonna have to look into and hope i can rule that out. My oil pressure seems fine according to the dummy gauge on the dash but no real numbers.
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

so does anyone know if taking off the secondary timing chain tensioner and chain guides off will throw off timing? Im hoping its as simple as take them out put new ones in and put everything back together.
Unread 12-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
jeepster250
1999 WJ 

The primary chain has to come off before the secondary since it sits behind it. The guides are easy. But if u accident move something u can knock the timing off. Mark it really good. I replaced my timing set the whole thing in 2 days. Timing was a pain in the freaking ***
jeepster250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

So i started tearing the jeep down so i can replace the secondary timing chain tensioner and chain guides. Hoping nothing moves so i don't have to pull valve cover too and retime. All i know is i thought removing the passenger side valve cover was a pain when i took it off but it don't even compare to removing the damn electric fan and radiator. Couldn't get the power steering fittings out of that cooler bolted to fan to save my life.
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Yes sir..I did the whole tip end rebuild and that WAS the hardest part in the whole project..I used a small pair of vice grips
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
LilLuKe
2004 WJ 

Lol I just replaced my radiator and front main. The fan and radiator definitely suck! I need to do my timing chain, guides, tensioners all that sometime as well.
LilLuKe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
wjjeepman34
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
so does anyone know if taking off the secondary timing chain tensioner and chain guides off will throw off timing? Im hoping its as simple as take them out put new ones in and put everything back together.
As long as you can keep the chains all hooked up, your good to go. If anything were to move, it would still be in correct timing because everything would still move together.

I had mine all tore apart when I did it (oil pump), so I dont know for sure if you can get to them with all the chains in the way. I dont really remember to be honest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.