Ceramic Thermal Coatings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ceramic Thermal Coatings

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
OregonOverland
2002 WJ 

Lightbulb Ceramic Thermal Coatings

I'm an owner of a 2002 GC Overland with the 4.7 HO. It dropped a valve seat and basically ate the #8 piston and sleeve. I've since gotten it remanufactured at a local machine shop and I'm ready to install the new rebuild parts.

Before I finish the rebuild, I've been researching the benefits of a new technology now available for the Saturday mechanic: Ceramic Thermal Coatings. There's a company here in Oregon that is well known throughout several industries that has a product which can be applied by anyone who can follow their directions. http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/finishes/ and http://www.nicindustries.com/images/...at%20C-186.pdf

Does anyone here have any practical experience or notable research with these or similar coatings on piston tops, exhaust ports and cylinder head chambers? I'm seriously thinking about jumping in and seeing if it works as advertised. Any relevant reply would be appreciated.

Last edited by OregonOverland; 05-04-2013 at 10:28 AM..
OregonOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
C101Commando

I've had friends use thermal coatings on motocross engines. No noticeable benefit, no apparent drawbacks. Personally, I don't think its worth the effort, you can get a lot of the claimed benefits by taking any sharp edges down and polishing the piston tops and combustion chambers. I do really like the coated headers on my tow rig, underhood temps are a lot lower when its working hard. If I had the manifolds off my wj I'd probably get them coated.
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
OregonOverland
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C101Commando View Post
...I do really like the coated headers on my tow rig, underhood temps are a lot lower when its working hard. If I had the manifolds off my wj I'd probably get them coated.
Thanks C101Commando,

You see? There you go! I'm actually more into the heat dissipative benefits of the coatings and getting opinions about its cost-time/benefit ratio. The concept of dissipating the heat away from the aluminum head chambers, exhaust ports and pistons appeals to me since my valve seat drop experience. I'm not affraid to go it alone though, so I just may try it out since it's less than $100 +air brush; more opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited by OregonOverland; 05-04-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i wouldn't do it in a combustion chamber. you're altering compression and quench when you apply something like that.

if you want to do something for it, polish the chambers mirror smooth and you'll get somewhere.

these things only really drop valve seats if they've been overheated. they should last quite a long time under standard operating temperatures.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
OregonOverland
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
i wouldn't do it in a combustion chamber. you're altering compression and quench when you apply something like that.

if you want to do something for it, polish the chambers mirror smooth and you'll get somewhere.

these things only really drop valve seats if they've been overheated. they should last quite a long time under standard operating temperatures.
Thanks for chiming in ratmonkey,

The research indicates the few thousandths of an inch the single ceramic layer will occupy will not raise those parameters any more than a block rebore, which has always been accepted practice.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.