Center Console USB/Plug Write-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Center Console USB/Plug Write-up

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 12-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
gqmdl0617
2000 WJ 

Post Center Console USB/Plug Write-up

Hey guys,

Ive had a couple of people asking me questions on how I installed my plug and USB ports into my center console, so im doing a quick write-up.

For starters, the plug I used is made by RubberMaid, and can be found online here, or other stores im sure. I actually found mine at Job Lot near me.

The unit looks like this out of the package (note that this is another one that i have that is two plugs instead of a plug and 2 USB ports)

The silver piece around it easily comes off using the two spring clips underneath.

Take that off and get rid of it, you wont need it. You should be left with this.

The next step is to take out your center console, which is held in by two screws. after that, you will need to decide on the placement of the plug. it will only fit on the side facing the shift lever, under where the change goes. I put it at this level, just underneath the change holder.

Once you decide where you want it, you need to trace out the outline on the back side. To do this, take out the two screws on the back of the plug and separate the two halves. While you have them separated, pull out the spring clips that held it onto the silver piece earlier. Use the back side to trace where you will need to cut on the back of your center console.

Now, get out your dremel and cut out the hole for it.

Once you get it cut, insert it in from the inside of the console compartment (with the back still off) and test the fit. Trim if necessary. once you get the fit perfect, screw the back side back on. I used some superglue around the inside edge, and hot glue around the outside. To this day, it is still strongly in place.

Here are some pictures of the final results:

Also, for my power inverter, i mounted it under the drivers seat.

It is turned on and off by a switch on my dash which is in turn only live when my keys are in the ignition.

Feel free to post any questions, Ill do my best to answer them.

gqmdl0617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
alifted4x4
2000 WJ 

What are the Usb run to?
alifted4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
gqmdl0617
2000 WJ 

They are just powered for charging things like camera, ipod, phone, etc. They run to my power inverter, which has a usb power port build into it.
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Couldn't you just plug it into the regular outlet?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
alifted4x4
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmdl0617 View Post
They are just powered for charging things like camera, ipod, phone, etc. They run to my power inverter, which has a usb power port build into it.

Got Ya Thanks. I thought you may have had the usb's connected to the stereo.
alifted4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
gqmdl0617
2000 WJ 

You could, but i find it easier to have them just plug right into the usb, instead of through a big wall plug that just reduces the voltage anyway. Plus, with this i can charge two usb things, and still plug in my laptop
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Is that the CObra 400 Watt??
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-400-Watt-12-Volt-120-Volt-Inverter/dp/B001RNOHBC/ref=pd_luc_sbs_01_01_t_lh

This is the MONEY!!! Just what I have been looking for.

Edit, found the 800 watt.. buying!!!!
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
gqmdl0617
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
Is that the CObra 400 Watt??
Amazon.com: Cobra CPI 480 400-Watt 12-Volt DC to 120-Volt AC Power Inverter with 5-Volt USB Output: Automotive

This is the MONEY!!! Just what I have been looking for.
Thats exactly what it is. I love the thing. Plenty of power for me, Nice and quiet as the fan only runs when the temp gets too high.
Unread 12-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
gqmdl0617
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alifted4x4 View Post
Got Ya Thanks. I thought you may have had the usb's connected to the stereo.
Im sure if you have an aftermarket radio with usb interface you could just plug into that to have it charge AND play your music. I like my factory radio though so im not sure.
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Kevos97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

awesome!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ BOOT CAMP: GREAT INFO![/URL]

1997 TJ, Citron Pearlcoat, AX-15, 4.0, D30/D35 open, 4.56s, 33 inch BFG T/A KOs on AEVs
2012 Patriot Sport 4X4 5speed - the new DD
my blog - [URL="www.kevinspocket.com"]www.kevinspocket.com[/URL]
Kevos97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
jhc5
2001 WJ 

Thanks for posting. Nice seeing a final result before I go tearing things apart!
jhc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
gqmdl0617
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc5 View Post
Thanks for posting. Nice seeing a final result before I go tearing things apart!
Any Time.

Just to post an update for anyone who is thinking about doing this, I did a little more work last night.

The power inverter wasnt working for me underneath my seat; it would get stuck on the seat when I moved it and I didnt like how it looked. So, I moved it. It now is underneath my center console, on the right side of the shift levers. The midel I used fits perfectly right there. I took the LEDs and switch off the unit and mounted them just under the side of my center console lid.

Also, because I was only using one of the two plugs on the inverter, I took the other one off it and placed it in the back cargo aria, next to my flashlight. I then ran an extension cord (with the ends cut off) from there back to the inverter and Soldiered all the connections onto the board. Im not saying this is for everyone, I was actually a bit hesitant to take it apart this far. But it worked out great, and I now have plugs in both the front and back of my WJ with only one (hidden) inverter

If anyones interested ill get some pictures later.
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
shuwtist
2003 WJ 

Great write-up. I would definitely like to see some pictures of the final product. Great job.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night
to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell -
[/CENTER]
shuwtist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I took the liberty of doing a setup for myself:

I used the Cobra 800 watt instead:

WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

Silly question but aren't most USB ports 5v and not 12v?

I could be mistaken just don't want anyone frying something if it's too much voltage for it.

2007 VW Touareg V10 TDI gobs of torque!

2004 Audi A8L Luxobarge

2008 Z06 cammed and slammed
yrkoverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.