CD Player help; shuts off randomly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CD Player help; shuts off randomly

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

CD Player help; shuts off randomly

Just thought I would ask here if there were any car electronics people out there...

what I have:

Panasonic CQ-VD6503U

and a 4 channel JBL GTO Power Amp running the door speakers

Just the other day working on my Jeep, no where near my aftermarket stereo or aftermarket amp and my Head Unit just decides to turn off like the power button has been pressed. The head unit literally says "Goodbye" like the power button was pressed. The unit still shows that it has power but everything is off (like normal when the unit is turned off when the car is running). It is powered off but now I can't get it to come back on unless I turn the ignition off and back on, then I can press the power button and the unit comes on. Maybe 10 mins later the unit goes through the same process again. It seems to be that it happens at the same interval. I have not timed it to verify that. Sounds like something in the Jeep telling it to turn off???

drwolcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

bump

anybody??
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
RJSoAZ
1996 ZJ 

Did you put it in yourself? sounds like the switched lead. check your wiring. If all else fails, wire the switched tot he constant, but remember to turn your radio off
RJSoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Yeah I put it in myself..... Its just strange.... It as been in my Jeep for several years now with no issues and its been awhile since I had to pull the unit out. It is just weird cause when it cuts off I can't turn it back on without the ignition cycle.

I am going to check my wiring just haven't had a chance... maybe something came loose????

Yeah if all else fails I could wire to the constant and the good thing about my head unit it won't loose any settings when power is disconnected like that

thanks for the help though
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
GMB34
2002 WJ 

first of all you have a nice setup.. I'm new to jeeps but have been doing stereo's for years. First and formost check your wiring. Loose wires are a pain.
GMB34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
RJSoAZ
1996 ZJ 

oh yeah disconnect the negative terminal first. This should go without saying, but my corner cutting has cost me a head unit or two
RJSoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Overheating?

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
GMB34
2002 WJ 

a deck in a jeep shouldn't be overheating on its own. I guess its possible some way some how you blew the amp but i seriously doubt it.
Unread 03-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

No its not overheating, its like it turns off at a predetermined time interval no matter what the volume level is etc.

I'm going to check the wiring just in case, its just a pita cause it being a double DIN sized unit
Unread 03-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
GMB34
2002 WJ 

somethin must be wired wrong or came undone. I highly doubt anything got fried. I'm not really sure how speakers amps work but is it possible that something is wrong with that? possibly loose wiring there somewhere to?
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

I was having similar issues, with it just turning off randomly, only working after turning on and off or pulling the fuse and reinstalling. For me it was intermittent, until it got to the point where it wouldn't work for a few days. Then I noticed one day that when its working, theres a light on the amp that is lit. When its not working, the light flickers randomly. So my guess is after 4 years of bumping the amp had enough
MurdaJs is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
GMB34
2002 WJ 

check the fuses in the amp.. the flickering light on the amp might have been the light showing it was over heating.. which could be from the amp being old or beaten from loud music or a simple fix is that the fuses on the amp could be blown.
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

ive checked the fuses before, they were good, but ill double check. The flickering isn't like a constant warning flickering, its like a sputtering, dying, flickering haha. Im pretty sure it has been over heating, probably for about 4 years, because I bump pretty much anytime im driving alone. Thanks though
MurdaJs is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
GMB34
2002 WJ 

might be time to get a new amp

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.