Carolina VS Tom Woods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Carolina VS Tom Woods

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Carolina VS Tom Woods

I'm tired of my front DS being a money pit. Soooo I'm just gonna buy a custom built one. Anyone running either of these two companies shafts? How does it ride and how long has it lasted? I'm leaning towards TWs at the moment but would like first hand experience. I already went salvaged way and spent the same amount rebuilding and balancing.

MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I can't speak abt the Carolina... But I am really pleased with my new Tom woods. They had good customer service and they sent it out very quickly. It's quality looks very sound and it cured my vibration immediately.
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
I can't speak abt the Carolina... But I am really pleased with my new Tom woods. They had good customer service and they sent it out very quickly. It's quality looks very sound and it cured my vibration immediately.
+1.. no experience with Carolina but very happy with my TW rear.
Not many miles on it yet, but plenty of others have given them rave reviews.
It is a quality piece.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
silentbob21
2004 WJ 

I have a Carolina front and a Tom Woods rear... both are excellent shafts. If I had to do it again I think I would go Tom Woods front and rear.

My only complaint about my carolina shaft is the CV joint gets noisy very quickly when it needs more grease. I was told that in harsh conditions they have this problem but mine seems to do it more often than I would like. I really packed it full of grease this last time so we shall see how it lasts but other than that, both great products.

silentbob21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all your input guys.
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
ablaydes
2003 WJ 

I just recently bought a Carolina front DS and I am very pleased, I got mine with Spicer Gold seals Non-greasable BC my WJ is mostly a DD. DS is Beefy and Built very solid. I'm sure the Tom Woods is also. Between the 2 and what I have read on both. You will be happy with either.

Great customer service from Carolina as well, Called Monday ordered it, shipped Monday, and I got it Weds afternoon. That being said i live in VA so im not that far away either.

03' Jeep WJ|4x4 select-trac|Kolaks "Magic Setup"|OME HDS|Bilsteins 5100's|3/4 spacers front|Moog STB SS|Zone 3" sway links|Homebrewed quick Disco's|17" Moabs|32" BFG's KM's|Hella 500ff's|Rear Oem receiver|Front custom tow Points|Smittybilt receiver 3/4 D-ring|Limited headlights and Grille|

My Build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ablaydes-wj-build-thread-1382113/[/url]

ROLL TIDE ROLL ! ! !

Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said...I'm too drunk to taste this chicken !
ablaydes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
silentbob21
2004 WJ 

even though you have sealed U Joints you still have a grease-able CV joint right ? which is the only issue I have had with mine, you are right, it is a beefy great shaft though. I love both of my driveshafts, only reason I went Tom Woods on the rear is because I bought the SYE at the same time so it only made sense...

I actually blew up my front Rezeppa long before I went with the SYE haha, but that was part of the reasoning, to fix my front angles... so fix the rear

silentbob21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
fsjmechanic
1996 ZJ 

I have a TW front double cardan in my '78 Chief......no complaints. Really solid and no issues.
fsjmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
ablaydes
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob21 View Post
even though you have sealed U Joints you still have a grease-able CV joint right ? which is the only issue I have had with mine, you are right, it is a beefy great shaft though. I love both of my driveshafts, only reason I went Tom Woods on the rear is because I bought the SYE at the same time so it only made sense...

I actually blew up my front Rezeppa long before I went with the SYE haha, but that was part of the reasoning, to fix my front angles... so fix the rear
Yes the shaft is still grease-able, You just can't see the fitting in any of the pictures. Yeah I'm wanting to replace my Rear with a Tom Woods too Mainly because I need to replace the U-joints and its just easier to slide a new one in LoL
03' Jeep WJ|4x4 select-trac|Kolaks "Magic Setup"|OME HDS|Bilsteins 5100's|3/4 spacers front|Moog STB SS|Zone 3" sway links|Homebrewed quick Disco's|17" Moabs|32" BFG's KM's|Hella 500ff's|Rear Oem receiver|Front custom tow Points|Smittybilt receiver 3/4 D-ring|Limited headlights and Grille|

My Build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ablaydes-wj-build-thread-1382113/[/url]

ROLL TIDE ROLL ! ! !

Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said...I'm too drunk to taste this chicken !
ablaydes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have Tom Woods on my Rubicon and am completely happy with it. Quality piece and superior customer service.
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

I ended up ordering from TW. it'll be here Wednesday. I'll let everyone know what I think.
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Don't see any balance weights on that shaft? Or are they just not in view?
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

FWIW, driveshafts aren't complicated. Its just some tubing weleded to some yokes with a few U-joints. You should be able to get a decent one from any driveline shop.

That said, I've bought my last 5 driveshafts from Tom Woods and have been more than happy with them.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

If you go with Carolina, you need to upgrade from their base u-joint. Tom Woods uses a high quality one out of the box. Both are similarly priced after that. I was wheeling with Tom Woods when I ripped apart a control arm and his on-board welder put me back together for the weekend so my vote is for him I have bought 3 shafts through him, and 1 through Carolina. Neither has done me wrong (as long as I replaced the Carolina u-joints with high quality ones which you can order from them like that in the first place).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.