Can't find crankshaft position sensor - 4.7 V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can't find crankshaft position sensor - 4.7 V8

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
doomi
2002 WJ 

Can't find crankshaft position sensor - 4.7 V8

I'm out here in 10 degree weather trying to get my Jeep started before our incoming snow storm. One of the suggestions was to replace the crankshaft position sensor, but I can't seem to find it under here. I do have the FSM, but the diagram is absolutely no help.

Can anybody tell me where it is (passenger/driver side, under hood/ under car, etc)?

A picture would be awesome if anybody happens to have one.

doomi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Behind the starter on the passenger side.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
doomi
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
Behind the starter on the passenger side.
Behind the starter as in towards the back of the Jeep. Or tucked up in behind the starter somewhere?

I'm looking at the starter, but not seeing any sensor.
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomi View Post
I'm looking at the starter, but not seeing any sensor.
You have to take the starter out first.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
doomi
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Man, that's not what I was hoping to hear. I'll find the starter removal procedure in the FSM, then the sensor should just be behind there?
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
+1
There's an O-ring that makes taking it out a pain in the a$$. Be careful not to drop it.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Man, that's not what I was hoping to hear. I'll find the starter removal procedure in the FSM, then the sensor should just be behind there?
It's not bad. Disconnect the battery, pull 2 starter bolts, move starter out of the way, there's the CPS.

(though sometimes I forget mine's lifted and is easy to slide right up under)

Unread 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
doomi
2002 WJ 

Any tips for getting to the top bolt on the starter? I can't fit anything up in there with enough movement to back it out.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I used a deep socket and a 6" extension (I think) It's been a while since I had the starter out.

Unread 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I used a wobble extension or a swivel socket. I didn't remember it being that hard...?
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
doomi
2002 WJ 

Quote:
I used a deep socket and a 6" extension (I think) It's been a while since I had the starter out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
I used a wobble extension or a swivel socket. I didn't remember it being that hard...?
Yeah, it's being a real pain. I can get a socket over the bolt, but I hit the transmission cooler lines with my wrench before I can get any movement.

I'm about to try a deep socket and extension. Hopefully it works or else I'm packing up for the night. It's waaaaay too cold to be working out here.
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
doomi
2002 WJ 

I used a deep socket and it popped it right off. The bolt wasn't even very tight, I just couldn't get to it.

Unfortunately my Jeep still won't run. Tonight I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and crankshaft position sensor. It will run for about two seconds then shut right down. For a long time it ran fine unless I tried to start it while warm... now it won't run at all. And I noticed something new tonight. The gauge cluster doesn't turn on when I turn the key to the on position.

I'm almost at a point of just giving up and letting this thing go for nothing. I don't drive it anymore since I got a new vehicle with much better gas mileage.
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
jauernigg
1999 WJ 

Are you getting any codes? Ive been thorough a whirl of starting problems, if it fires up then immediately dies it could be the TPS or the chip key sensor. Good luck, and I highly recommend only useing mopar replacements
jauernigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
TeeJay4490
1999 WJ 

Quote:
I used a deep socket and it popped it right off. The bolt wasn't even very tight, I just couldn't get to it.

Unfortunately my Jeep still won't run. Tonight I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and crankshaft position sensor. It will run for about two seconds then shut right down. For a long time it ran fine unless I tried to start it while warm... now it won't run at all. And I noticed something new tonight. The gauge cluster doesn't turn on when I turn the key to the on position.

I'm almost at a point of just giving up and letting this thing go for nothing. I don't drive it anymore since I got a new vehicle with much better gas mileage.
Ship it down to Florida, ill adopt it and give it a new home.

1999 Grand Laredo 4x4: [SIZE="2"]Whats left of a front bumper - JK Saharas' with 33's - 4 in. Rough Country lift - HID conversion - Double cardon conversion - TJ gas cap mod - Recovery points added - Painted cladding and grill - Skid plates - All moog suspension- Roof Rack -CB radio - Cut and trimmed fenders[/SIZE]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/tjswj-build-thread-1438516/[/url]

[url]http://wjjeeps.com/[/url]
TeeJay4490 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #15
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I'll give you nothi g for it.

Sent from the ISS using laser beams.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.