Can no a/c cause musty smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can no a/c cause musty smell

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 12-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
yank_my_chain
2000 WJ 

Can no a/c cause musty smell

I am considering buying a 2000 JGC Limited 4.7 with 106K miles from a co-worker that has a few minor issues. It is a third car for the current owner and has less than 1K miles put on in the last three years.

First, the a/c does not work and has not worked for several years. He said the dealer told him it needs a new compressor. I will have a complete PPI performed before purchasing and have the a/c system assesed.

It also has a very musty smell inside. I have read several threads about a musty smell from the blower but my question is would the a/c not working cause the musty smell? If I get the a/c fixed and run the spray from the TSB for the smell, should that fix the issue? It is a strong smell when getting into the vehicle without anything running. This is the most significant issue.

I don't have access to the Jeep yet. My co-worker is going to take it to CarMax soon and will sell it to me for what they offer. I'll start another thread when I get the purchase price and can look it over more closely.

Thanks!

-Brad

yank_my_chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
yank_my_chain
2000 WJ 

Anybody?
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

****ty cabin air filter http://www.wjjeeps.com/cabinair.htm

Also check for humidity in front passanger foot well, leaking Heater core will spill coolant here.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
BrokeWJ
1999 WJ 

I'd guess if the A/C hasn't work, and they haven't even put a JY compressor on it- then likely if it has a sunroof, it's been leaking. That, or they've not been cleaning the water out after they let it in. As long as the carpets and everything look pretty clean, you shouldn't see much issue getting rid of the "musty" smell.
BrokeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
yank_my_chain
2000 WJ 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get access to it over the holidays and check it out more closely.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.