Can I drive without front driveshaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can I drive without front driveshaft?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Indy

Can I drive without front driveshaft?

So one reason or another, jeeps at Aamco. It vibrates all the time especially under load. Aamco first says it needs new rear ujoints and rear tcase seal, end of problem. Ok says I. Today a phone call, oh we just noticed the front double Carden is going bad, so it needs replaced as well. Parts on that alone double their estimate.

Ok says I, put it back together the way it was, I'm picking it up. The last time I had a shop do work, it went badly and I'm to doing that again.

So picking it up tomorrow. Assuming the front shaft is my real issue, cani just pull it for a bit? No need for 4wd right now, but I've never worked on the gc before, not sure how it goes together and want to see if my vibes go away without it. I'm short on time right now but it looks like il have to make some.

It's an 04 with the ho 4.7 and quadradrive.

Unread 06-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Jacko84
2002 WJ 

Yes, its ok to have the front ds off
[COLOR="Navy"][I]02 WJ Limited | 4.7L HO | quadra-drive | 3" KOLAK lift: Bilstein 5100s shocks, OME HD coils | Moog steering stabilizer | JKS adjustable track bar | 245/70R17 General Grabbers | 17" JK MOABS[/I][/COLOR]

[B][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/ultimate-wj-grand-cherokee-buyers-guide-1271979/"]The Ultimate WJ Grand Cherokee Buyer's Guide
[/url][/B]
[B][url]http://wjjeeps.com/[/url][/B]

[COLOR="YellowGreen"][B][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/north-texas-grands-1323367/"]North Texas Grands[/url][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/jacko84s-wj-build-thread-1398349/#post13930247"]Jacko84's build thread[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Jacko84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Yep you can. If the vibrations are somewhere in the front axle, you will still feel it because the axle is still spinning, its just not being spun by the transfer case.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Vibrations, increasing while under load, and the front driveshaft centerjoint is bad...I think you found your problem (at least that was mine).

I would have the front driveshaft rebuilt, then re-install it and see if there are any other problems.

I had vibrations under load. Rebuilt my front driveline, vibrations were gone.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
MoparMan1990
2000 WJ 

I had mine off for about 6 months and a 1200 mile drive..I just filled it with lube and put it back on all is good now
MoparMan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Indy

Thanks!

Aamco gained a little ground with me today. They called yesterday and asked if they could get the jeep back to me this afternoon instead of last night. I was already in a poor mood and felt like butt, and didn't feel like dealing with them so I ok'd it. Phone call this morning from them. Guy says the mechanic misunderstood when he was told to put it back together and did the rear end work, stopped and was waiting for the front end parts.

My first thought was his next sentence would be how much I now owed them. But before I could even draw a breathe he told me that since I hadn't authorized the work, no charge for either parts or labor, no questions and no negotiation. They wouldn't accept payment and keep an eye on the front shaft until the joints were replaced. My last ordeal with them was years ago but involved 18 months of being told they would be ordering parts next week, and the price quadrupling. I assumed i was on the same road as before. So shocked to say the least.

Vibration is pretty much gone, I've had it so long it's weird to not feel it. Towed with it tonight for the first time in a year with no issues.

Aamco, dell range in Cheyenne. A complete 180.
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
alan1969
2000 WJ 

Grand cherokee Laredo 4.0 quadra-trac ll

Is it going to be alright to take out the frount drive shaft for a few months, till i get the frount end of my transfer case fixed.? got to replace the chain and sprokets. Its making a bad clunking sound whenever i step on the gas. Checked it out underneath and when i turned my frount drive shavt it clunked in frount of the transfer case.
alan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

I drove with mine out for 4 months when I snapped the shaft, had no issues.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
alan1969
2000 WJ 

good to know... First time owning a jeep ans seeing a frount drive shaft with cv joints on it. Kinda nurvose about having it but got it cheep and was takin good care of be for i got it. so far ive changed the cv axels, and now transfer work..
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
alan1969
2000 WJ 

I love all the 4 wheeling, done some when i lived in ga..... So what i dont understand is all these abreav, of letters.... wj,xj ect....Fare as i know i got a jeep grand cherokee Lardeo quadra-trac ll... I feel dumb....lol...
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1969 View Post
I love all the 4 wheeling, done some when i lived in ga..... So what i dont understand is all these abreav, of letters.... wj,xj ect....Fare as i know i got a jeep grand cherokee Lardeo quadra-trac ll... I feel dumb....lol...
WJ = 99-04 Grand Cherokee

ZJ = 92-98 Grand Cherokee

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
alan1969
2000 WJ 

so it wont hurt the transfer case anymore then it already is ?
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
alan1969
2000 WJ 

wow... ok..... Thank you for that info... so ive got a wj... wit 157k and got it for 1,600. hope it was worth it... all in all the body and inside is in great shape, and the s-6 is running strong except for the clunking when it gets stressed..
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
I drove with mine out for 4 months when I snapped the shaft, had no issues.
Quadradrive?

I ask cause the service manual says only to do that for test only and then the fliud must be changed. Reason is no front shaft puts the clutch in the xfer case to 100% full on rear drive.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
alan1969
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnice View Post
Quadradrive?

I ask cause the service manual says only to do that for test only and then the fliud must be changed. Reason is no front shaft puts the clutch in the xfer case to 100% full on rear drive.
Yes it a quadra track ll.... Been hearing alot of negitive things. Not all bad but.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.