can i add a tow bar? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > can i add a tow bar?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 06-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

can i add a tow bar?

I have an 03 wj standard. great jeep, minor things hear and there but sound and reliable even at 180k mostly highway. i am looking at getting a boat, i have a 98 with more miles and a hitch, rougher ride(needs an overhaul on suspension)but i was thinking about adding a towbar to the 03. Anyone done this? Is it bolt on or weld on? Looking under my 03 the gas tank is there, but I havent taken a serious look to see if I could add a hitch. Is this doable? Let me know, maybe a link to someone who has. Thanks!

skimsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Yup, just bolts up to the gas tank bolts. Grab one from a junk yard for cheap and the wiring harness and bolt it right up. There is a section of the rear bumper that youll need to cut out, but it is marked on the inside to make it easy. And there is a plug behind the plastic in the back that the harness will plug into. Its very easy to do.

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Yea, this is totally do-able. You can either get a factory one from the junkyard off another WJ and potentially nab the wiring with it, or you can buy an aftermarket one, (which will hang below the bumper) from many places.

Its just a matter of supporting the gas tank, unbolting and then bolting the hitch in with the same bolts and holes you just took them out of.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

wait wha? the 98 JGC hitch bolts up to a WJ?
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino View Post
wait wha? the 98 JGC hitch bolts up to a WJ?
Who said anything about putting a 98 hitch on an 03? The OP just said he was going to add a hitch to his 03. Not that he was going to take it off the 98.

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip

Who said anything about putting a 98 hitch on an 03? The OP just said he was going to add a hitch to his 03. Not that he was going to take it off the 98.
Then I misread. I thought he was trying to move it over. My mistake.
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys, just making sure. i thought i could but wasnt sure. I have seen some crazy rigged towing systems, nothing i would trust tho. thanks!
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so i just got under the jeep and looked. does the bar bolt up on either side of the gas tank? I see there are 6 bolts that hold the gas tank cover on. are these the bolts that you use?
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimsurf
so i just got under the jeep and looked. does the bar bolt up on either side of the gas tank? I see there are 6 bolts that hold the gas tank cover on. are these the bolts that you use?
That is correct. I think there are two bolts you won't use so the tank doesn't come crashing down on you. And I want to say there are two additional bolts that extend past the tank. But don't quote me on that. It's been like 5 years since I added the hitch on my last wj.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using JeepForum

Build Thread

KCCO

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.