Can a bad oxygen sensor cause fouled plugs? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can a bad oxygen sensor cause fouled plugs?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 12-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #16
PA55
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTek View Post
So if the purpose of the upstream sensor is to determine the "correct" air/fuel ratio, then the downstream sensor will force a different AFR to get the desired emmisions effect?

What happens if you unplug the downstream sensors? Can the upstream sensors not control the poper AFR without the downstream sensors?

This just seems like needless complexity.
The upstream O2 sensors control the AFR, the downstream ones are only there to detect a faulty cat, if you disconnect them it will throw a code.

The first thing I would do is swap both upstream sensors over to see if the problem moves to the other bank. If it does then your O2 sensor is faulty.

Without proper diagnostic equipment you have to use a process of elimination, not guesswork.

One thing at a time

Jim

Unread 12-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #17
ShadowTek
2004 WJ 

I'm waiting for a cheap OBD2 scanner that I found on Amazon, so maybe that can tell me something. I've seen the Youtube videos where some scanners can display live voltage readings of the sensors and whatnot, but I don't know if the one I ordered can do all that or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...dp/B001LHVOVK/
ShadowTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.