Calling all 242h swappers!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Calling all 242h swappers!!!!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
1krr
2000 WJ 

Calling all 242h swappers!!!!

I need to know what the length of the rear DS is for a 242hd. I have everything else but the rear shaft. Also any advice on setting preload on my Dana 30? I have to swap the yolk for the Double carden shaft. It should go smoothly if I can get all the parts before I tear it apart.

I have this wierd clunking in my front end, when I hit the brakes it thuds, and does it again when I let off the brakes. I put on the stillen kit from kolak and it's acting like there's slop between the piston and brake pads, but I've inspected the system a few times now everything appears normal. Could it be slop in bushings pivoting the axle? Just seein if this has come up before. Thanks guys

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

The rear drive shaft is also a different spline count.
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
1krr
2000 WJ 

The 247j is a 27 spline I take it?
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

Yeah, the 242HD is 32 I believe.
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
jimmay
1999 WJ 

Yah the 242 has a 32 spline output shaft. As for the clunk, check your caliper bolts. when I did the caliper swap mine came loose after a few hundred miles. Had to tighten them down in a walmart parking lot in the rain. As far as the pinion preload, I would search. There is a really nice writeup on here, alot of pictures and details on how to do it. You will need a dial type torque wrench that reads in inch-pounds. Youll need to measure the rotational torque before you take off the old flange. Youll need to take everything off, brakes, hubs, axle shafts, to do that properly.

Get a new pinion nut bolt as well. Mine was put on and cross threaded so when I took it off it made a mess. I ended up having to pull out the differential. I was able to fix the threads with a die and thread file. Wasnt a fun two days. Some people mark the old bolt and then tighten it down on the new yoke to where it was plus a little more. Id suggest getting the factory service manual and familiarize yourself with this. The factory service manual is pretty detailed and tells you step by step how to set the preload.

TL;DR: search for the write up on setting the pinion preload and get the FSM. Replace the pinion shaft seal while your at it. Check your caliper bracket bolts.
jimmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
1krr
2000 WJ 

I have a shaft seal, crush sleeve and new pinion nut ready. I can not find a rear driveshaft now. It's the last piece of the puzzle!
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
jimmay
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1krr
I have a shaft seal, crush sleeve and new pinion nut ready. I can not find a rear driveshaft now. It's the last piece of the puzzle!
Car-parts.com. That's how I found mine. I couldn't find anything in the u pull its around here when's was doing it. Three weeks later there are two WJs sitting there with everything.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
jimmay
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1krr
Also check your inbox. I'm semi local to you.
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
1krr
2000 WJ 

Thanks or the help jimmay! The front end thud has me stumped still. Brakes are all tight, everything seems as it should. If I can find a rear DS today ill be doing my swap this weekend.
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

Did you check your sway bar bushings? I had an XJ clunking like that, it was the sway bar wobbling around inside the bushing.
coloradowjowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.