A/C wont recharge! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C wont recharge!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 06-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
1greg42
2001 WJ 

quick question guys, i bought a 134a system to charge my ac because doesnt blow cold air..the previous owner i bought it from to me it needs to be recharged...other than the instructions on the can.. is there anything i should check before i charge it?

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

There are lots of things you *should* check, but I have in the past had mostly good luck throwing in a can of refrigerant and or/sealer (I use 12a HC because 134a is not available off the shelf here, but same idea). Beware of sealers though, I've heard horror stories about some. I only use redtek products and have had no issues, but your mileage may vary.
For $50 or so you can get a cheap set of manifold gauges and they are worth every penny. Check high/low side pressures first to make sure it needs a charge. If not, at a minimum check your low side.
It's usually cheaper and easier to just throw a can in and see what happens than it is to diagnose it properly first. If the top up doesn't work, then you really need the manifold gauges and do some troubleshooting. Out of probably 2 dozen cars I've charged, the only one that wasn't that simple was of course my jeep (compressor was toast).
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
99GCL6cyl
1999 WJ 

hi guys, sorry for the delayed update. had to wait for funding and also been shopping around for a compressor.
car-part.com listed a few vendors. found a used one at LKQcorp.com for $60.
drained oil from it. installed. added PAG 100 ~4oz(i goofed and didnt read the recommended viscosity PAG 46; researched and found that some shops only use PAG 100). i smelled the old one, smelled like a burnt circuit board and the clutch looked like it melted internally.
vacuumed for 40 minutes. -30 inHG achieved. closed valves on manifold, shut off vacuum, let it sit overnight.
morning, gauge still at -30 inHG. started recharge process.
Low side went up to about 70 psi within 2 minutes. High side climbed to only about 70-80 psi........
my next thought/step would be to replace the accumalator/drier...
99GCL6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
1greg42
2001 WJ 

same thing just happened today to me...i sprayed in the 134a and it hissed out somewhere else during the process...my hvac door might have broke today also -_- jeep problems.
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

I see a couple of the above posts have mentioned using R12 instead of R134a . I don't know about US cars ( I guess they are the same as ours at least ac wise) but if you lift the hood and look up, in the centre front edge of the hood there is a warning sticker telling you not to use R12..... so probably best not to....especially baring in mind how sensitive these cars are about their fluids being correct!
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

R12a and R12 are not the same. 12a is a hydrocarbon refrigerant.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #22
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Yep. Here r12a is available to joe public, where r134 isn't like it is in the US. I actually have ultra cool brand in mine right now. Biggest difference I've found is it will cool much much colder than r134 ever did.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #23
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Yeah the 12a stuff is significantly more efficient than 134a, even slightly better than the old R12. Given that it's environmentally friendly I don't know why it's not more common? There must be some reason the 134a is still the standard but it's not because it works better. I've been using red tek since it hit the market here several years ago and I've had nothing but good luck with it. I've recharged beaters that probably hadn't had the AC working for 10 years or more and they run like new. Love it.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
99GCL6cyl
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GCL6cyl View Post
hi guys, sorry for the delayed update. had to wait for funding and also been shopping around for a compressor.
car-part.com listed a few vendors. found a used one at LKQcorp.com for $60.
drained oil from it. installed. added PAG 100 ~4oz(i goofed and didnt read the recommended viscosity PAG 46; researched and found that some shops only use PAG 100). i smelled the old one, smelled like a burnt circuit board and the clutch looked like it melted internally.
vacuumed for 40 minutes. -30 inHG achieved. closed valves on manifold, shut off vacuum, let it sit overnight.
morning, gauge still at -30 inHG. started recharge process.
Low side went up to about 70 psi within 2 minutes. High side climbed to only about 70-80 psi........
my next thought/step would be to replace the accumalator/drier...
update on the accumlator/drier...
replaced drier, also checked orifice tube for blockage, seems to be clear.
vacuumed just the same as previous post on 6/5/2013.
same result......i suck at life
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #25
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

So your compressor is running and you're getting about the same pressures on both sides again? If so you got a bad compressor. Compressors on these things seem to me to have a very high failure rate compared to other vehicles I've worked on, so I wouldn't touch a used one. If your high/low side pressures are equal or even close with the compressor running then there's not really anything else it can be. The odds of getting a junk used compressor are pretty high I would think. Just clarify that I'm reading you correctly though. Rockauto sells the genuine denso unit new (not rebuilt) for less than $200. Don't buy used, don't buy chinese knock-offs (yes for all I know the denso is made in china but they are definitely better than the no-name chinese compressors). Four seasons is good, but I have yet to find a deal on one. To get warranty on your new compressor you need to replace the expansion valve and drier (which you've already done) so might as well get the txv for another $20 if you do go that route.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
99GCL6cyl
1999 WJ 

well.....compressor clutch doesnt even engage(sorry if i left this out). i had assumed that the clutch only engages when there is enough r134a or pressure.
also, i did not replace the expansion valve, couldn't find where it is located. when searching for a/c valves for my particular model suv, only this came up. so i assumed that i only had and orifice tube(which i did not replace, only checked for blockage).
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...8_686837_4535_

i looked at the firewall for the metal 2port rectangular device but did not see a metal expansion valve.

btw, i greatly appreciate yours and everyones feedback

Last edited by 99GCL6cyl; 06-13-2013 at 09:19 AM..
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #27
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

OK if your clutch isn't engaging that's a whole other issue. Try turning on your A/C with engine running and give the clutch a whack on the front and see if it engages, could just need some shims removed. Until we know why the clutch isn't kicking in, we're dead in the water. Shouldn't be low pressure if it was just charged.
The expansion valve is there, you just have to remove the nut in between the 2 lines. There is a thin "block" that one of the lines is attached to, the other will slide out the bottom of it. Once you have that off, the expansion valve is the next part and is held with 2 hex screws. Got to figure out the clutch problem first though.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
99GCL6cyl
1999 WJ 

Success, Fixed, Resolved!!!
Found a clipped cable at the compressor's clutch.
(it could have possibly been purchased like that or I could have done it while trying to install.I should have tested the clutch before installing just by simply connecting its terminals to the car battery!)
Parts-
a/c discharge hose from partsgeek.com = ~$60
a/c accumulator/drier from partsgeeek.com = ~$25
a/c compressor (used) from lkqcorp.com(via car-part.com) = ~$60
a/c manifold gauges from harbor freight = ~$55

3 cans of 134a = ~$120
2 bottles of PAG 46/100 = ~$16
(i drained and refilled w/ the recommended PAG 46)
2 gallons of 50/50 Coolant(had to drain some coolant to replace compressor)
also $60 a/c diagnoses when this all started(the guy wanted $300 to fix the leak)

The journey to ICE COLD A/C = PRICELESS!!

credit goes to you guys and
ericthecarguy(youtube)
scotty Kilmer(youtube)
richpin06a(youtube)
autozone(youtube)

Thanks to all for your help and pointers. Especially lazyWJ.
Happy Fathers Day Gentlemen!!
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Glad you got it sorted out! Things like broken wires and such are hard to track down sometimes and usually the last thing you think to check, so it's great you were able to find it and get your A/C back. Stay cool my friend!
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
JeepAdiction
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Going to do the daughters AC this week. What should the high and low pressures be at 85 degrees ambient?
13 Grand Cherokee Limited
JeepAdiction is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.