A/C wont recharge! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C wont recharge!

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
99GCL6cyl
1999 WJ 

A/C wont recharge!

Just bought a used 99 grand cherokee laredo. a/c was not blowing cold so i bought a can of DIY r134 to recharge, it took all 20 oz. and was blowing cold for only a day.... found leak in the a/c discharge hose. ordered replacement and installed. bought another can of DIY r134(same as first can), tried to recharge but system wont take any. the DIY can shows over pressure on the gauge and then starts to spit out liquid r134 from the trigger. i do see the clutch engaging normaly as it did before with the first can. please help.

99GCL6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Since you've replaced the hose, the system has now been opened. It needs to be properly evac'd and moisture removed from the system. to -28. Then checked that it holds pressure. Once it passes, then the proper amount of oil and r134 can be put into the system. Do not overcharge though as this can damage the system. I actually went with the r12a as I had to have mine done since the system was opened when the new engine went in last november. It actually blows a hell of a lot colder than it did with the r134.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Ideally yes you should vac the system, that will help it take a charge. It sounds like something else isn't right though. It would be nice if you had a set of high/low side gauges to get your pressures, otherwise it's just a guessing game. It's possible your compressor is toast if it's running and not cooling, but we don't have enough info to say for sure. If you replaced a hose and system was empty, the compressor should NOT be coming on unless it took some charge. Any idea on how much went in?
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
heitzman
2002 WJ 

The compressor is not normally going to engage with one 12oz can of freon in the system. Somewhere around 27oz is considered full on these systems. Your gauge is going to read high if your compressor is not running or cycling.
heitzman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
99GCL6cyl
1999 WJ 

thanks for the tip on the evac guys.

@lazywj, not sure how much r134 took in, but the DIY can seems to be near full.
@cykaaro, thanks for the recommendation on r12a, but i have 2 canst of r134(about 30oz), if the evac works i'll just make use of the remaining.
@heitzman, gotcha, i did put 20oz on the first recharge just to start off.

my buddy will be bringing his manifold gauge and vacum pump tomorrow when he gets back in town. hopefully the compressor is not defective as well. we'll update asap. Thanks again!!
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Post up some pressures when you get them and that will definitely help if you're still having trouble. Good luck!
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
99GCL6cyl
1999 WJ 

.........was able to evac low side, manifold wouldnt let me evac high side(no valve on manifold's high side)....
pressure on low side after it took about 19 oz = 40 psi
pressure on high side after recharge = 50 psi
stopped recharging because the can of r134 started to leak out at the trigger...
pressure seems to be the same after 20 mins;
but a/c is not blowing cold air....
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GCL6cyl View Post
.........was able to evac low side, manifold wouldnt let me evac high side(no valve on manifold's high side)....
pressure on low side after it took about 19 oz = 40 psi
pressure on high side after recharge = 50 psi
stopped recharging because the can of r134 started to leak out at the trigger...
pressure seems to be the same after 20 mins;
but a/c is not blowing cold air....
When off, there is no low/high side. The pressure equalizes between them.

What was the ambient temperature? That plays a HUGE roll in proper pressures.

How do your manifold gauges not have a high-side valve? Got a picture?

Was the compressor turning when you were getting 40/50 ? If so, it's done.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

When you evac the system it should hold a vacume of -28 inHg. Then sit to ensure that it holds pressure. If it doesn't then there is a leak(s) you need to find. When evac'd the system is done as a hole, not low side done seperately from the high side.

Found this. It's for an accord, but the procedure is basically the same on how to do it and you'll need to know what your system is supposed to take. This is the type of pump we used when we did mine. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2818297

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
99GCL6cyl
1999 WJ 

went to harbor freight and got a better manifold gauge. vacuumed both low and high. -30in mercury. 30-40 minutes. let it sit for 40-50 minutes, looked good, no leaks.
recharged, but not getting any cold air...
~60psi on low side
no pressure on high side......
i may have to throw in the towel and take it in to a real shop....money is leaking out with every recharge...plus tree huggers will get mad if they see this post
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Good you have no leaks. When you charged you had the AC on full I assume? 40-60 on low side is normal. When we did mine though we never toughed the highside. It runs like 450psi or something I was reading. When the AC is on is the compressor working? Wondering if there may be an issue with it.

Unread 05-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
99GCL6cyl
1999 WJ 

yes, a/c on max recycle. outside temp 80 degrees. clutch was engaged/spinning. did some more research, some people had to change out the a/c acumulator/drier or condenser.
probably gonna have to wait till my next paycheck if i wanna keep this as a diy project.
@narnw, yea my buddy's gauge was like a fisher price guage so i went out and bought one that had valves for both low and high. and yes, compressor was turning when psi was 40/50, but no cold air.
thank you all for your input. i'll continue to post my steps/decisions(if i take it in) till resolution.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Just so I'm following this right... you're getting about 60 on the low side and no pressure on the high side, as in 0 now? Or do you mean no pressure increase? If there's no (or very little) increase then the compressor is likely done (just went through this myself). If the high side is actually 0, then there's something really screwy going on.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
99GCL6cyl
1999 WJ 

yes. 0-20 psi on the high side while engine on and compressor clutch spinning/engaged....
come to think of it. while i was waiting for the a/c discharge hose to come in the mail....i started the car, pulled out of the driveway and drove down the block; then i heard a squealing noise from the engine, it sputtered for a bit, i got scared pulled over and turned off the car. turned it back on and it squealed for a few seconds. i popped the hood and saw some stuff being flung of the belt near the compressor. squealing stopped and havent heard it since.....
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
CCFoundry
2004 WJ 

This thread would be good as a sticky, there's some good info on here.
CCFoundry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.