A/C woes. Am I screwed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C woes. Am I screwed?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
bugsy123

A/C woes. Am I screwed?

Ok, well I just replaced the radiator on my 2002 V8 WJ. And during that process I evacuated the A/C system. Now it's time to refill the A/C system. So I get one of those r143a refill kits you see at car part stores. The instructions say to have the AC compressor on to suck up the stuff, or that if you put enough r143a in the compressor will start working if it was already low (im empty).

Well, I put enough r134a in to get the gauge to read in the green zone on the refill kit (too about 10 seconds, can obviously still full). Compressor clutch will wont engage. So I put 12 volts from the battery to the plug on the compressor (mine doesnt have a 2-wire plug to jumper like my research says is for 99-01, and jumping the relay did nothing). The wires I used to go from the battery to the AC clutch got very hot, which gets me worried. And even with 12v the clutch didnt engage. Tapping it didnt even do anything.

I swear the AC worked a month ago, so its hard to believe that the clutch is broken.

Are there any more tests I can do?

bugsy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Not good the wires got hot. Do the wires have to be positive specific as well? which may or may not make a difference. Would make me wonder if something has shorted, therefore it's not engaging.

On another note, did you check that the system holds pressure ok after you evac'd it? As well, might want to consider changing to r12a. Many, including myself, find it works a lot better (colder) than r134a does.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
bugsy123

I put the white wire to positive and the black to negative. Wires got hot. Put them the other way around, same thing.
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Unless someone knows something I don't, the getting hot is a sign something is shorting out inside of it.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
multmigs
2003 WJ 

I'm in the same boat have a 2003 with V8 and agree there is not a seperate low/high pressure set of switches on the lines that I'm used to which can be jumpered to start the compressor if it works and then allow you to add the correct amount of R134a. Not sure what the function of the 3 wire switch which is plugged into the line next to the joint with the condensor in front of radiator on passenger side.
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs View Post
I'm in the same boat have a 2003 with V8 and agree there is not a seperate low/high pressure set of switches on the lines that I'm used to which can be jumpered to start the compressor if it works and then allow you to add the correct amount of R134a. Not sure what the function of the 3 wire switch which is plugged into the line next to the joint with the condensor in front of radiator on passenger side.
That is a hi/low switch. Thats where it should be jumped, not directly on the ac clutch.

Typing on phones sucks.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
bugsy123

No, I did the non-EPA friendly way of doing it when I took the radiator out. That vacuum would just be gone no matter what I do when I unbolt the AC lines to get the radiator stuff out.
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

The 3 wire sensor is a pressure transducer that replaces the old low pressure switch cutout. It's not easily jumped like the old setup. Verify if there's 12v going to the clutch first, then report back. If there is, it's most likely a clutch failure. If not, there's further investigation required.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
multmigs
2003 WJ 

seems like there is disagrement about how to proceed with diagnosis, i can't find anything in the FSM that address this part or how to check, they actually have diagrams for the older style setup with the 2 seperate low and high pressure switches. I will try to do some more checking like for the 12v at the clutch but I can't see that being the case and its not turning on.

As a side ? to the OP, why did you have to do this to change your radiator out? i pulled the radiator and entire engine out of mine without undoing any ac system parts just unbolted and moved around to get clearance?
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
bugsy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs View Post
As a side ? to the OP, why did you have to do this to change your radiator out? i pulled the radiator and entire engine out of mine without undoing any ac system parts just unbolted and moved around to get clearance?
I followed some guy's write up on this site and that's what he said to do.
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

It takes seconds to check for voltage to the clutch. This is the low hanging fruit of diagnosis. If there's 12v, you've got clutch problems. If not, move on to the next step. What are your high and low pressures? This is essential information for further diagnosis, there really shouldn't be any disagreement about that.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

I replaced my rad without disturbing the AC system.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
multmigs
2003 WJ 

ok so I used voltmeter and verified I have a 12+ at the clutch connector and still it does not turn on, what is the next thing to check? I'm thinking of trying to remove clutch and see if the shims are the problem but not sure what else?
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
multmigs
2003 WJ 

and So I did take the clutch off, found the inside to be pretty clean looking nothing broken and having read about the shims inside on other posts I removed the only shim there was and put back together. When engine is running the AC compressor clutch is now engaged ALL THE TIME? the A/C button on dash control has no effect on this nor does turning the HVAC off completely... The air coming from dash is correctly cooled and I verified the low side portion of the system has the correct amount of r134a using my filling port gauge I don't have a complete setup. My next thought is to try to find a shim of different thickness and reinstall that to see if it makes a difference?
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
multmigs
2003 WJ 

So I did find a washer basically that was same diameter and the thickness was about half of the shim I removed, reinstalled clutch like that and it is back to not working at all. Not sure what to think other than the clutch mechanism is FUBAR and I need a new one. Wondering if its smarter to buy entire compressor, not seeing any cheap replacement clutches online.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.