A/C problems...need Help as search engine doesnt work ....!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C problems...need Help as search engine doesnt work ....!!!

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
338WinMag
2001 WJ 

A/C problems...need Help as search engine doesnt work ....!!!

As a new Wj owner.. I have not much knowledge on a/c system. I tried to use search on here but doesnt work.

here we go as whats going on...

I have not cold air coming out when i put the a/c on.
I went out and look if the compressor was engaging and it doesnt seem to work...

where do i begin too look ???

thanks

338WinMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Look it's a newfie! LOL.
Do you have the dual zone control or the single manual la?
The most likely cause is low refrigerant due to a leak. You can spend lots of time diagnosing or you can go to Canadian Tire and get a can of Red Tek Pro Seal and the hose kit (pro seal half price this week) and charge the bugger up.
Could be lots of things, you could try whacking the front of the clutch with the AC engaged to see if your clutch is out of spec, or checking for voltage at the clutch.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
338WinMag
2001 WJ 

campbellton new brunswick buddy.. not newfie for sure lol

single manual on a 4.0 L

I tried wacking the clutch .. no results

please tell me how to check voltage...
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Just grindin your gears. Anyone east of quebec is a newfie these days. lol.
there's a plug on your compressor, just a 2 pronge one. If you unplug it you can check the harness side for 12volts when the AC is turned on and engine running. If there's 12 volts there your clutch is gone, not very likely in my opinion. You probably will find 12 volts there which means you should check the low pressure cut out. At some point chrysler switched to a pressure transducer switch up near the condenser, but I don't know when or what models. If you have a 2 wire plug going to your drier, that's your low pressure switch and you can just jump the 2 pins and see if the compressor runs. If you have the newer system, it's 3 wires and runs on 5 volts, so it's not so easy to check. Really at this point we need to know what your pressures are, at least low side. You can get the red tek kit with hose, gauge and 2 cans of refrigerant for $55 at CT. Get that and a can of pro seal and you'll probably have everything you need.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
338WinMag
2001 WJ 

i have a 2001 laredo ... and saw the 2 pins .. so i just jumped those to see if compressor runs. and i will test for 12 volts.. plus get the red tek kit and i<ll keep you posted.

thanks

hope its only minor

as for the newfie thing I rather be a newf than be a quebecer... ahahaha
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
robby65
2007 XK Commander 

Not enough freon and a/c wont come on. And the truck is 12 years old.So are the hoses, seals,orings almost positive slow leak
I charge mine twice in the summer and its ice cold. When I do radiator I'm going to look for leaks.
robby65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
338WinMag
2001 WJ 

will do and hope for the best ...
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

First thing you really should do is get the system properly evac'd and then test it can hold pressure. Evac it for a good 30-40min. Then check that it can hold pressure for an hour at -30. If it does, you're good to go on refilling the system. If not, then you need to find where it's leaking and fix it. Once it can hold pressure you're good to go. I know with some of the duracool kits on the market now, some come with a leak detect die so you can check the system befoe you recharge it. (the ultracool in mine automatically has it in with it) so you can use an ultraviolet light to track down where a leak is. Hopefully it's just in need of a evac and recharge. Went through this beginning of the summer myself. System was opend up on account of a new engine put in. Word of note though, if there is moisture in the system and you add in r12a refriderant, you can totally screw your AC system.

Wasn't sure how bad mine would be since the system wasn't addressed from November last year, but all has been good. As well using the r12a, it'll be a lot colder than the r134a. I get at full down to 8C now.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Just to be clear, don't jump the pins going to your ac compressor clutch or you blow a fuse! I've charged nearly 20 cars with red tek, my jeep was the only one I did "right" by evacuating the system, replacing drier etc. It doesn't work any better than any of the other ones did, although I know it will probably run longer with fewer troubles. There is a red tek product that's a drying agent you can add if you suspect moisture in the system as well.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
js12278
1999 WJ 

You just got the wj. It would be far better to take it to an AC shop. Let them pump it down properly. They will check for leaks. If they find anything they should tell you before they make the repair. If you think you can handle the repair yourself, take the vehicle home, repair it. Take the vehicle back to the ac shop, let them pump it down and refill as needed. You can now start off with a working system. Since you are not sure how long or why the system is inop. you would be better to start off with a proper evacuation of the system. Good Luck.
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Sure there is a right way to do things... the book way. But in the woods of northern new brunswick you fly by the seat of your trousers eh!
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
338WinMag
2001 WJ 

lol .... yeah i am going to bring it to AC shop.... then we'll see...
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

I hope that goes better for you than it ever went for me. Those AC guys are bandits.
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
338WinMag
2001 WJ 

i dunno if he was a bandit... but now its tested and fully functional for the amazing price of 107$ tax.inc

turnsout I had no more freon as simple as that. it was tested for leaks and fill for that price and a dye was put in if ever it leaks..

Thanks for the great advise guys....
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Sweet! Gotta like nice and simple. I lucked out and mine was as well. The guy I deal with charges $100 for the same thing. I just got it for a bit cheaper though.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.