A/C Not working - Need Help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Not working - Need Help!!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

Wj A/C Not working - Need Help!!

2002 WJ 4.7L Limited

The air will work fine from 10 mins to two hours, then the cold air will stop, almost like its trying to push air through, but it feels light through the vents, and gets warmer. The floor is soaked. I drilled the 1/4" hole and fed a piece of wire straight through to free up any possible blockage. I can feel water coming through the seal right around that area also.

The local shop wants $60 just to look at this. I'm reluctant to go there and spend $500 to fix something with $50 in parts.

I really appreciate any advice on this. I'm taking my boys to the beach tomorrow and it will be nice and hot!!

Crash4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
1hotrod
2004 WJ 

Sounds like your evaporator coil is freezing up. Could be low on refrigerant charge. As far as the wet floor goes : add a drain tube (elbow) to the existing drain to get the condenssate away from the firewall, its probably leaking out very slowly and running on the underside of the condensate drain, hitting the firewall and leaking past the seal and back into the cabin. My JGC had the same issue with condensate on the pass. side floor and I added a rubber elbow to the drain line to get the condensate away from the firewall, so far its worked been about a week and floor is dry. Good luck!
1hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

Thanks 1hotrod. I will hit it with a charge after work today and look for a diagram of the drain line to get an idea of where/how to install the elbow. This has been driving me crazy to say the least...
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

Blew compressed air up the drain tube, water gushed out. Fixed.
Unread 08-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

Guessing since I blew the air up the drain line, whatever was there has clogged the drain line again? Back to the same symptoms. Guessing I'm left with a shop rapping me...
Unread 08-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
1hotrod
2004 WJ 

You need to add the elbow to the drain line. But first, try rodding out the drain line with an 8-10" long piece of wire and flush with water, repeat until water is clear. Flush using a clear piece of plastic hose, about three feet long, a funnel and a cup of water. No more than a cup at a time. I think 1/2" I.D. hose will fit the drain line. Short of taking the heater box out this is all you can do!
Unread 08-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

I did add the elbow. I will try flushing it out. Thanks bro!
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Sounds like two different issues possibly happening. As said, evap freezing up, and then a seperate drainage and/or water issue.

Went through some issues with mine (testing now to see everythings ok). I added to the drain pipe and drilled two different holes and found no blockage at all, and water always did run out. Mine flows ok, but kept getting a lot of water on the floor. I also took the sealant from my retrofit (same stuff used for installing windshields) and on the firewall side made sure everything was sealed well. The seal can deteriorate and force of air while driving can cause water to come back inside the cabin from the stock drain. Sealing and extending fixes this.

My AC itself works fine, but the issue is with getting water on the floor. All the usual things seemed to be fine, but took precautions anyway. With mine, it appears to be a lot of condensation on the box under the dash. I've presently wrapped it in insulation used for duct pipes, and taped together with foil duct tape. So far it seems to have worked. Just monitoring it now that it's indeed fixed. Thursday morning with it on full I ended up with probably a litre or more of water on the front passenger floor. Last two times of running the AC, nothing. The part to the right I've left and is always quite hot. I think it's due to the heater core, and with it beside where the airconditioner is and drains, maybe in part the cause of the condensation being caused. Either way, it seems to now keep it well insulated and show no signs of it right now and floor is still dry.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
1hotrod
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash4x4 View Post
I did add the elbow. I will try flushing it out. Thanks bro!
Your welcome! How did you fare with the cleanout?
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

I've run a wire though the firewall into the drain line. It doesn't go very far before it apparently 90s up. I suspect that is where they clog up? I need to find a hose and flush it. I'm working 11 hr days and hardly messed with it. I'm working today Saturday). Can I just run a garden hose up it briefly?
Unread 08-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I personally wouldn't. You don't know what it's doing up there. Rather than a wire, try one of those things they make for cleaning sink drains out and see if it grabs anything and pulls it down.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

A Snake... Good idea. I'm convinced its still blockage - after the jeep is parked for an hour, there is still a drip coming out. I've tried a few times to clear it out...
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

UPDATE - I tried to Clear out the drain tube, and thinking it is clear. I added 1/2lb of refrigerant and it definitely blows colder... but after a bit it acts like it still freezes up or something. The blower runs, but no air is coming out of the vents. Are my blend doors acting up??

Thanks all!!
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

If the blend doors are an issue, does the air come from defrost only?

Unread 08-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Try this, there are only 3 screws holding your blower motor on and it's easy access in the passenger area. Next time it acts up again, drop those 3 screws and with a flashlight you can actually see the Evaporator and know if it is freezing. Also, you can stick your hand up there and feel for water. Same with shop vac or air hose nozzle or even a garden hose to make sure it is flowing out good.

2nd part would be to see if you have a cabin filter, low airflow across the evap can cause it to freeze up as well and a dirty cabin filter would cause this. The cabin filter is located underneath the wiper cowl on the outside of the jeep. They did not come from the factory with them, it was a dealer installed option.

3rd would be to get a set of gauges and see what the actual readings are to rule out any other issues. Good Luck!
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.