A/C help with 99 Grand cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C help with 99 Grand cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
xjjeepinmatt
1999 WJ 

A/C help with 99 Grand cherokee

I was sitting at stop sign today with my a/c on and suddenly i heard a hissing sound and smoke came through my vents and some out my hood. Then the a/c got warm and smelt funny. Everything else is running fine, but apparently something blew up or messed up on my a/c unit. Any help on what it is would be greatful?

thanks,

matt
Spc US Army

xjjeepinmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
smuggler
1998 ZJ 

You sprung a leak and de-pressurized your A/C system. If you can't find it by looking you'll need to take it in to have it shot with dye. Hopefully you'll only need to replace a fitting or line, and not the whole system.
smuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
xjjeepinmatt
1999 WJ 

thanks i will try to find the leak if not i will take it in.

Thanks again
Unread 06-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Shouldn't be too hard to find if it did it at a stop light. SHould be a pretty big hole.
88yjproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
xjjeepinmatt
1999 WJ 

well i checked for leaks under hood all i found was some refrigirant/coolant underneath the accumulator (black oval shaped thing i think it is lol) i pulled the line off the top of the accumulator and the green o ring looks really worn out? think that is my problem? if thats the problem or if i ever find the leak, do i just recharge the system with one of those kits from o'reillys or autozone??

thanks for all the help
Unread 06-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Could be the o-ring or it could be the accumulator.
88yjproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

no...once the system is opened up you'll have to put it under a vacuum to remove all the air and moisture from the system. This is also a quick "test" to make sure there are no more leaks. when you removed the line was there any pressure?

If you own an air compressor you can buy a tool that attaches to your air hose that will pull a vacuum. Some manifold gauges do come in handy so you know if you system is leaking still or not and how much refrigerant to add back to the system.
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
classicmetalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudii View Post
no...once the system is opened up you'll have to put it under a vacuum to remove all the air and moisture from the system. This is also a quick "test" to make sure there are no more leaks. when you removed the line was there any pressure?
Definitely pull a vacuum. $130.00 at Harbor Freight n you can pick up a A/C gauge set n vacuum pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjjeepinmatt View Post
well i checked for leaks under hood all i found was some refrigirant/coolant underneath the accumulator (black oval shaped thing i think it is lol) i pulled the line off the top of the accumulator and the green o ring looks really worn out? think that is my problem? if thats the problem or if i ever find the leak, do i just recharge the system with one of those kits from o'reillys or autozone??

thanks for all the help
As stated above make sure you pull a vaccum. I just did this last weekend on my 94, here are the steps from my manual.
1) Pull a vaccum takes about 2-3 min to get down continue to pull vaccum for 10 min.
2) turn off vaccum pump and left sit for at list 5 min (I waited 10) make sure your vaccum stays and does not drop, this would indicate a leak in the system.
3) If everything is good the pull the vaccum for an additional 10 to 15 min.
4) Add your can of R-134a OIL first (10.5 oz can = 8.5oz oil and 2oz freon)
5) Add your freon (ours took 1 can of pag oil and 2 cans freon)
6) Make sure to watch your gauges as you are changing you do not want to over charge.
You may need to bypass the low pressure clutch cycle switch to keep the compressor turning.
2001 Cherokee
twmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.