A/C Clutch replacement 2002, 4.0L 6 cyl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Clutch replacement 2002, 4.0L 6 cyl

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
joe_pinehill
2002 XJ Cherokee 

A/C Clutch replacement 2002, 4.0L 6 cyl

I thought I had my AC running OK. Now it will work a few minutes, blows cold air, then warm air. If I turn off the AC it start again blowing cold for a few seconds, then stop. When I put a gauge on the low pressure port of the AC, seems to show the compressor stops running as it warms up.

Is this a sign of the compressor clutch failing. I have the factory manual. Read the steps for replacing the clutch. Is it a hard job to do? Anything to watch out for? If I can I'd like to replace the clutch vs the compressor and avoid the payment to evacuate, pull vacuum and refil.

Online prices for clutches vary from 160 at NAPA to 69 on ebay.

joe_pinehill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_pinehill View Post
I thought I had my AC running OK. Now it will work a few minutes, blows cold air, then warm air. If I turn off the AC it start again blowing cold for a few seconds, then stop. When I put a gauge on the low pressure port of the AC, seems to show the compressor stops running as it warms up.

Is this a sign of the compressor clutch failing. I have the factory manual. Read the steps for replacing the clutch. Is it a hard job to do? Anything to watch out for? If I can I'd like to replace the clutch vs the compressor and avoid the payment to evacuate, pull vacuum and refil.

Yeah, there was a recent thread on here with exactly that. They were told to smack the clutch and it would start working. They took he clutch off and found that it was worn. The person bought a new compressor, but only replaced the clutch and kept the compressor for a spare. It was within the last two weeks, so if you look through the recent threads, you should be able to find it.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
multmigs
2003 WJ 

When you were checking the charge pressure did you observe that the clutch was working? meaning did it cycle on start spinning in the center portion and then shut off briefly regardless of what position the dash selector was on? If it cycles on/off repeatedly with you doing nothing else then you may have just a slightly low charge which can cause the low pressure switch to give the signal to the clutch to turn off till it comes back up a bit. That could mean you just need to add a slight amount of R134a or that you have a small leak. Otherwise yes you can buy only the clutch and replace. You can also unbolt it front the front of the compressor shaft and check the inside parts. In between the clutch and the shaft will be several washers which are called shims and you can remove 1 of them and reinstall to see if that makes any difference in how the clutch operates. I had the same problem a month ago, could not get it to work with the shim trick so i purchased a complete Compressor/clutch and removed the new clutch and installed that on my old Compressor which a month later is working just fine. And if it dies i have the new compressor in a box waiting to get installed. The strange thing is the price on just the clutch was about $25 less than for both parts together.
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
joe_pinehill
2002 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I forgot to follow up. I had too much 134a in the system. I bled a little, its been running fine since.
joe_pinehill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:

I forgot to follow up. I had too much 134a in the system. I bled a little, its been running fine since.
Good deal. Live and learn. I didn't know the compressor clutch would stop with too much R134a.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.