Buying option opinions needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Buying option opinions needed!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
FRNKN_JP

Buying option opinions needed!

So after doing tons of research, I still can't determine if I should get a WJ with or without Vari-Lok axles. I want the 4.7HO and was looking at the limiteds and the overlands from 2002-2004. Some background about me. I had a 2003 KJ that was lifted, locked, and wheeled hard. I go to the sand dunes a lot and do some moderate rock crawling. It was sadly totaled last week and I am looking at the WJ because of the power and size increase, and I am sick of IFS. I can't find an HO V8 WJ without Quadra-Drive, and ultimately I would like to have a 4.7HO with selec-trac and selectable locked axles (which is what my KJ had). So...

1) Is the NP247 T-case reliable, strong, and is the front axle engagement jerky?

2) how long does the front axle take to engage after the rear begins to spin?

3)Are the vari-lok Axles durable, strong, consistent, and long-lasting? Clutches wear out often?

4) Can the FRONT D30 vari-lok axle have a different locker installed, or do you have to change the carrier and shafts like the rear?

5) Overland vs. Limited?

6) Was the HO V8 offered with quadra-trac II?

I plan on doing the IRO 4" lift, and running 265/75/16's.

Thanks in advance.

FRNKN_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
MattG60
2004 WJ 

I believe that overlands only came 4.7H.O. and Quadra-drive. I am confident when I was looking for mine I found an 01 with a regular 4.7 and a selec-trac(where you have the full 2WD option). Don't quote me on it. Also, Refer to the WJ buying guide in this forum--a lot of info.

I have the quatra-trac II and its a good system, fairly seemless engagement of the front axle. Mine has 200k and still works fine so pretty rugged. I believe you could get the h.o. with quadra trac II. there many variations that came from the factory. Good luck with your search and welcome
MattG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

I have a 2004 Overland, I love the High Output engine. If you can find a Limited with the HO I'd say don't rule it out. I haven't had much experience with the Quadradrive yet but I've been told it's a great set up.
96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Navairgeek
2004 WJ 

I have a 2004 Freedom edition with the HO and Quadratrac II (now I'm on the hunt for a rear vari-lok axle...apparently $700+ from recyclers ).

Look for Rocky Mtn or Freedom with the HO option.
Navairgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.