buying a 2000 WJ that doesn't start?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > buying a 2000 WJ that doesn't start??

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 06-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Question buying a 2000 WJ that doesn't start??

Hi guys, newbie here

I posted in the Jeep Buyers section but haven't received a reply yet so I'm trying here.

I'm looking at a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7 and 115,000 miles on it. I will be inspecting the vehicle this weekend and would like to get some information before making an offer on it. I've been reading like mad on the forum here but have a few questions.

The buyer tells me that there's an ASD code and the Jeep doesn't start.

He has replaced:
fuel filter
crank sensor
cam sensor
PCM

I'm not sure if the sensors were Mopar parts or auto store parts.

He says that after the PCM was replaced the car ran for a little while but does not start again.

He also states that there's an ASD code and he pulled the relay and it appears the 87A socket in the fuse panel was missing the connector. I'm not sure what this means.

If the car ran briefly after the PCM was replaced, that would lead me to believe that the wiring to the PCM needs some work? Maybe there's a bad ground or a short somewhere? Or maybe the crank shaft position sensor was an auto store part and it has failed already?

I've been doing a lot of research on the forum here, and I'm a little confused. Can a transmission cause the car to not start and give ASD codes?

If all those parts have been replaced with good parts, does that narrow it down to the wiring somewhere? Maybe a bad connection to the PCM, maybe a short on the O2 sensors, something like that? Are the 2000's prone to the wiring harness rubbing on the stud, or was that only the 2003 models?

I should mention I'm not a mechanic, but I can do tune ups, brakes, change alternators, tie rods, do fluid changes, stuff like that, but I've never done anything inside an engine and I don't think I could swap a transmission myself. I also know how to use a digital multimeter, and I have a mechanic buddy with an 03 WJ that can lend me a hand and only charges me a friend rate for labor.

Thanks so much for the help!!

nodoze is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you know how to pull the codes without using a scanner? If not, look here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm
Retrieving codes:

Turn the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat three times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off, On). At the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If no codes are present then "Done" will appear.
I would first verify there is an ASD code present.

If there is an ASD code, swap the ASD relay for another relay.

I would be very leery buying a 4.7 that does not run. The seller could be hiding motor problems.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I would be very leery buying a 4.7 that does not run. The seller could be hiding motor problems.
Thank you for the reply. I'm a little leery since there could be a motor or transmission issue. I've never swapped a tranny or done any work inside an engine so that's my main concern right there.

I did know you could pull codes on the dash, but I wasn't aware of the procedure so thank you very much for that
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

How much would you be paying? You should be buying it very cheap as a non runner .....as in a "selling for parts" price.....because ,as you say,...it could be serious (read expensive). Let's face it, if it was a cheap easy fix the owner would have fixed it and be selling for more cash! If you get it very cheap you could make money from partIng it out if it all goes tIts up.
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
How much would you be paying? You should be buying it very cheap as a non runner .....as in a "selling for parts" price.....because ,as you say,...it could be serious (read expensive). Let's face it, if it was a cheap easy fix the owner would have fixed it and be selling for more cash! If you get it very cheap you could make money from partIng it out if it all goes tIts up.
He said he has an offer for 1850 but the potential buyer wouldn't be bringing his mechanic out until next week. It's also been up for sale for a month and a half now and I probably wouldn't offer more than $1500, is that too much?

I'm also looking at some 97-01 XJs and some 97 to 01 Grand Cherokees with between 130 and 170k miles that run and work well, but I thought that the 2000 would be a good deal if I could fix it cheaply. I do know about the head issue with the 00/01 4.0s.

I'm looking at Jeeps because I've owned a couple of Blazers in the past and I want another SUV, and I'm coming from a Cadillac now and want something easier to work on.

Thanks for your help
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

I'd offer 800 at most.. As stated your buying a non running jeep no way of knowing if engine is really dead or just a sensor... I'd say let it go..see if the other guy actually "exists". Then see where its at in a week. But that's just me.
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I'd be thinking along the same lines. There's no way of knowing if the engine or tranny is good. Factor in the cost of an engine rebuild if there is in fact an issue, and how much to swap in a used tranny and that will give you an idea of what costs you're possibly looking at. You don't want to end up with paying to much and then having to dump more money into a new engine and/or tranny on top of what you paid for it. Better to err on the side of caution. I got mine with a low mileage engine. Ended up having to rebuild it and it ran fine in the beginning, so you just never know. (mine was it appears previously owner of the engine didn't do proper oil changes so the damage had been done, and I drive a lot so it gave out)

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

That's very good advice, thank you There's quite a few Jeeps for sale in the area, I'll concentrate on the running ones. I'll post back if anything happens with this one.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.