Buying a 1999 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-21-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
DoggyB22
1999 WJ 

Garage
Buying a 1999 Grand Cherokee

Buying myself a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited this weekend with 135,xxx miles. Just wondering if there's any special things I should be worried about with '99 year? Haven't checked it out in person quite yet. But current owner says it runs perfect. No damages inside or out. Which based off all the photos it looks immaculate! I'm a car guy (currently a 01 Z28 owner) now use to be in the 4x4 family (previously owned a 1990 & 91 Ford Bronco) Planning on painting the wheels black & blackening out all the driving lights. Then possibly getting some Cragar Series 397 wheels & a small lift for 31" BFG Mud Terrains. Don't plan on doing any serious off roading but enjoy the look. I know Ill have to probably cut the front/side bumper a little bit for tire clearance. Any good write ups? Also What's some good Jeep websites for specific parts to WJs. Looking forward to getting it this weekend & getting started on it. Thanks for the help!

Attached Thumbnails
75436.jpg   75437.jpg   75440.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-21-2017, 01:30 AM
skipperau

RockAuto for parts.
I have a 99 and a 02, love them. Both 4.7l V8's. different cooling fans but that is about it.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...guide-1271979/
Go to: WJJEEPS.COM and scroll to the bottom of the page.
Get the build sheet Here: https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html
On the side, go to Equipment Listing and enter the VIN.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)

post #4 of 18 Old 08-21-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
DoggyB22
1999 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperau View Post
RockAuto for parts.
I have a 99 and a 02, love them. Both 4.7l V8's. different cooling fans but that is about it.
Good to know thanks
post #5 of 18 Old 08-21-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
DoggyB22
1999 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Read this
Go to: WJJEEPS.COM and scroll to the bottom of the page.
Get the build sheet Here:
On the side, go to Equipment Listing and enter the VIN.
Thank you very much! Definitely a lot of good knowledge to know when I check it
post #6 of 18 Old 08-21-2017, 06:20 PM
skipperau

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyB22 View Post
Thank you very much! Definitely a lot of good knowledge to know when I check it

Yep, I love wjjeeps.com, lots of good info on there. I didn't know about the build sheet d/l though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 18 Old 08-22-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
DoggyB22
1999 WJ 

Garage
Definitely a lot of great info! Is anyone able to look up the vin # for me if I give it?
post #8 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 AM
MojaveMike45
1999 WJ 

Just bought mine 3 mons ago, So Cal original paint, no rust!, $2300 but no ac, radio, loud muffler. Another $1500 for aforementioned repairs, fluid changes, etc. Dont sweat the Infinity sound system, every body puts in the wrong speakers, ie 4 ohms, must be 2 ohms (get em on ebay salvage cheap). Ac compressor iz super ez change out as it iz up top 2 bolts & hoses. Do not pull the dash for blend door replacement! $80 + 1 hr time to fix (lots of previous write ups).
Attached Images

post #9 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 07:50 AM
MojaveMike45
1999 WJ 

I am gonna give 2 my cents of observations here (most info gleaned from Craig's List). The WJ jeeps are absolutely the best buy in SoCal for 4wd rigs. Lots of power, reliability, style, luxury, etc. All the other Jeep models are priced higher, Toyota's are crazy high (I have one), Nissan's high & not many available, LR Discos incredibly unreliable & expensive to maintain (just unloaded mine).
post #10 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 07:56 AM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

The '99 and '00 4.7's are a little different from the '01 and newer V8's.

The first is the change in cooling fan setups, I have WJ's with both setups, and much prefer the '01 and later cooling fan. It's much more robust, moves a lot more air and is more reliable in my experience.

That being said, the older cooling fan setup is adequate as long as it's functioning properly. As preventative maintenance I would recommend replacing the fan relay (located under the passenger side head light), the clutch fan and the electric fan motor. This can all be done on your own in an afternoon with basic hand tools.

Second, I would flush the cooling system entirely and switch over to the later spec'd Zerex antifreeze. My personal testing with running 'regular' green antifreeze vs. Zerex saw engine coolant temps that were 5-7* cooler on average with Zerex. I tested this in an older ZJ w/5.2 V8 and the 4.7 in my '00 Limited and verified with my scan tool.

Lastly, it's widely believed that sometime around 2001 the oiling system was changed slightly in the 4.7 due to concerns about oil not returning to the pan fast enough and causing the number 8 main bearing to fail. The oil drain back galleys in the block and cylinder heads were enlarged to help oil return to the pan quicker.

I recommend running only the spec'd 5W30 motor oil, although you can run alternatives if you do your research. One such oil is Rotella T6 5W40, which typically on the 'thinner' side of a 40 weight oil. Also be sure to check oil level regularly, especially if you have a known leak.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-26-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
DoggyB22
1999 WJ 

Garage
Thank you guys for all the help/advice! Much appreciated... I drove down to LA this morning to pick it up. Was definitely really clean inside & out. Has a few scratches/dings here & there but for a 1999 I didn't expect anything less. All the info posted definitely helped me with finding some issues that Ill need to address. One small thing that Ill need to change is the passenger door lock. It makes a noise when you lock/unlock it. It still works just makes the noise. Then you got your famous "blend door problem." The heater doesn't work... Tried cycling through but barely any heat came out. So Ill look into that! Then while driving on the hwy I noticed that when I lift off the throttle the rear kind of hops to the right a little? I did a little research on here & saw it might be the bushings on the lower control arms? Can anyone confirm this or give some advice on what it might be? Thank you again! Ill post updated pics once I add a few touches to it
post #12 of 18 Old 08-27-2017, 10:04 AM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

JEEPLES : Are the newer fan relays any more reliable than the older ones? The relay in my 2000 is stock. No hole cut under the headlight . I haven't swapped it out since it's still good. Any reason to do so?
post #13 of 18 Old 08-27-2017, 12:34 PM
skipperau

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyB22 View Post
Thank you guys for all the help/advice! Much appreciated... I drove down to LA this morning to pick it up. Was definitely really clean inside & out. Has a few scratches/dings here & there but for a 1999 I didn't expect anything less. All the info posted definitely helped me with finding some issues that Ill need to address. One small thing that Ill need to change is the passenger door lock. It makes a noise when you lock/unlock it. It still works just makes the noise. Then you got your famous "blend door problem." The heater doesn't work... Tried cycling through but barely any heat came out. So Ill look into that! Then while driving on the hwy I noticed that when I lift off the throttle the rear kind of hops to the right a little? I did a little research on here & saw it might be the bushings on the lower control arms? Can anyone confirm this or give some advice on what it might be? Thank you again! Ill post updated pics once I add a few touches to it

Morning Doggy, yes mate, that squirm in the back end def sounds like the rear control arm bushes, I've just done mine recently, I did the upper A arm as well as the lower control arms and it's taken away all of that tendency to "rear steer" that worn bushes gives.

As already mentioned these engines are sensitive to overheating so one of the first things I did was change the water pump and clutch. While you're at it, change the OEM fan for the GM fan if you've got a 4.0 or the Ford fan if you have the 4.7 like I do, they move a lot more air, reducing the reliance on the electric fan. (You'll find more details in another thread on here, or I can give you the part numbers later if you don't find it, I'm at work atm so don't have it with me)

Enjoy your WJ, I do, so much so I bought a second.

Doug.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-27-2017, 12:38 PM
skipperau

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons1 View Post
JEEPLES : Are the newer fan relays any more reliable than the older ones? The relay in my 2000 is stock. No hole cut under the headlight . I haven't swapped it out since it's still good. Any reason to do so?

I'm guessing Jeeples has just done it for the sensible reasoning of "while I'm in the area doing other things I'll do this job too to save myself dramas later"
Like anything they do fail with time, mine was 16 years old when it failed, and a couple of other guys here have had it happen in the 14-16 year mark so it's probably wise preventative maintenance.

Doug.

post #15 of 18 Old 08-27-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
DoggyB22
1999 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperau View Post
Morning Doggy, yes mate, that squirm in the back end def sounds like the rear control arm bushes, I've just done mine recently, I did the upper A arm as well as the lower control arms and it's taken away all of that tendency to "rear steer" that worn bushes gives.

As already mentioned these engines are sensitive to overheating so one of the first things I did was change the water pump and clutch. While you're at it, change the OEM fan for the GM fan if you've got a 4.0 or the Ford fan if you have the 4.7 like I do, they move a lot more air, reducing the reliance on the electric fan. (You'll find more details in another thread on here, or I can give you the part numbers later if you don't find it, I'm at work atm so don't have it with me)

Enjoy your WJ, I do, so much so I bought a second.

Doug.

Yea mines the 4.7L. If you could point me in the right in the right direction of threads I would appreciate it. I can always do a search I guess also or look it up on Youtube

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 H/C/I/Nitrous
1964 VW Dune Buggy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.