Burning rubber smell! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Burning rubber smell!

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 01-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Odd Burnt rubber smell.

I have a faint burning rubber smell coming from the right rear area after I shut my jeep off. Nothing is rubbing on anyhting. Nothing is on the exhaust. Axle seals are not leaking cause I just replaced those. Rear pads are new from mopar. I just recently removed the right rear tire and took apart the brakes and cleaned the mud and leaves off of it. Looked at the pads and did not see anything wrong with them. I am currently trying to fix my running a tad rough problem. I'm waiting for my jeep guy from work to find me some more good injectors cause the spray pattern is horrible. Could that be it? Anybody have this?

Unread 01-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yjproject View Post
I have a faint burning rubber smell coming from the right rear area after I shut my jeep off. Nothing is rubbing on anyhting. Nothing is on the exhaust. Axle seals are not leaking cause I just replaced those. Rear pads are new from mopar. I just recently removed the right rear tire and took apart the brakes and cleaned the mud and leaves off of it. Looked at the pads and did not see anything wrong with them. I am currently trying to fix my running a tad rough problem. I'm waiting for my jeep guy from work to find me some more good injectors cause the spray pattern is horrible. Could that be it? Anybody have this?
yep, yep, and yep.
i have the exact same symptoms... faint burning rubber smell coming from right rear area. and just like you... i can find nothing wrong. i thought that it may be my rear drums at first and ended up taking it off... needed to be taken off anyway as it was seized up but did nothing to get rid of that smell.
i will be interested to see if anyone has an idea about this...
2004 WJ GC (current)
2006 WK GC (current) 5.7L HEMI Limited QDII
greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

It doesn't really bother me, it's just it is annoying when I walk away knowing other people might smell it too. Anyone else have this?
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Bump
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
bhos1798
2003 WJ 

Same thing is happening on my 03 overland. i have no clue what it is or when it started because its on the right side and i dont usualy go over there after i shut the car off but it must have been recent.
bhos1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
greta
2004 WJ 

i was at the jeep dealer for something else today and he came up with a very plausible possibility....

he said that when the rear axle seal leaks it will get into that area (right rear - brakes) and it can cause a burning rubberish smell.

i am sure that some will poo poo the idea but seems possible to me...

to know if this is your problem you can take off the tire/wheel, caliper anchor and rotor and should be able to see... i had noticed a couple of weeks ago that mine was leaking a little but never thought that it may have something to do with the smell.
2004 WJ GC (current)
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Roboughton

I have a WG UK and right rear is drivers side, I noticed a smell coming from the same wheel the other week but I haven't figured it out yet either
Roboughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Caliper could be sticking. This happened to me a while back. It would happen intermittently for a little while then one day it completely stuck in the braking position and wouldn't even let the jeep move at idle. I replaced the caliper, bled the brakes and the problem went away.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

I've replaced my axle seals about 5 months ago. cleaned the parking shoes with mineral spritis and brush. Sprayed with brake clean. everything was fine. started getting the smell. Took passenger side apart twice and cleaned mud and made sure everything is moving correctly. Caliper could possible being going out. I notice more because my son's car seat is on the pass side and most of the time when I get him out I can smell it. Not all the time though. I guess I will look into it further. At least I'm not the only one!
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yjproject View Post
I've replaced my axle seals about 5 months ago. cleaned the parking shoes with mineral spritis and brush. Sprayed with brake clean. everything was fine. started getting the smell. Took passenger side apart twice and cleaned mud and made sure everything is moving correctly. Caliper could possible being going out. I notice more because my son's car seat is on the pass side and most of the time when I get him out I can smell it. Not all the time though. I guess I will look into it further. At least I'm not the only one!
same case with me... sons car seat is on passenger side and i notice it when i get him out... i guess the proof (at least in my case) will be once the seal is replaced if the smell goes away...
2004 WJ GC (current)
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
XJH-007

I also have this faint rubber burn smell......but it's only apparent on cold days, and after at least a 15min drive. I've inspected and temp checked (laser thermo) just about everything I can get to with no avail. It seems to be worse the colder it is. I parked the other day at the top of a Mtn to ski and it was really strong (-1 *).

I have also noticed it's only right as you shut the truck off, it then fades, and doesn't "smolder" or get worse.

This makes me think it's just a reaction in the Cat making a strange smell, and then as the engine is shut off it goes away.

I've smelled burning oils and greases of all types and it's not that. I also have no signs of any seal leakage...

It's just the way "Vicky" smells.
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

I didn't realize I would get so many other people with this burning smell. I have even stuck my nose in my exhaust right after I shut it off, Quick ran to the back, and smelled. I smelt it for a second and it was gone. I leave my jeep running while I get my son out and I can smell it while it is running. Not in the exhaust, just in that area.
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
longboy
2006 WK 

I smell it in my garage after parking it in the afternoon. I don't typically notice it unless I go in the house and back out to the garage (with the garage door shut) to get something.
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
bhos1798
2003 WJ 

ok i might have figured it out i pulled into my garage a few minute ago and ran over to the passenger side of the jeep to check if i smelled it anymore and i noticed that melting slush was dripping right onto the catalytic converter from a skid plate(stock overland plate) when i smelled the steam it smelled like burning rubber. I had just driven maybe twenty minutes through snow and slush and it was all stuck on top of the skid plate.

also this made me think that even if you hadnt been driving the the snow it could be frozen to the bottom of the jeep and when the car heats up it starts to drip??

hope this helps
bhos1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
Mr_Grumpy
1999 WJ 

You ran? what means this? is it like walking but less fun...i need a lie down now just thinking about it.
Mr_Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.