Bumper replacment and adding factory hitch..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bumper replacment and adding factory hitch.....

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Bumper replacment and adding factory hitch.....

Long story short I have to replace me rear bumper cover AGAIN, and as many times as we have been hit in the *** end (with no explosion) I'm adding a damn hitch !! Dont really need to tow with the WJ as we have other vehicles but it cant hurt to have the option.

This time around I'm just doing the bumper replacement myself and pocketing the $500 from insurance that would have gone to pay the body shop.....

PROBLEMS or CONCERN :
My cladding and bumpers are NOT just a standard grey or black IIRC they are called "argent" (I think)....... I cant seem to find a bumper WITH the hitch bezel in this color, and they do not seem to make a bezel in this color for me to just cut my new bumper..... Any OEM sources ??

Where are guys finding the MOPAR hitch setup with factory harness as a COMPLETE kit ?? EBAY does not seem to have much....

Thanks

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

I doubt you will find a whole kit unless someone is selling it used on Ebay, craigslist or in the classifieds here. I would check the classifieds on here. Usually someone parting a jeep out or selling the parts your looking for.

As for the bezel color you can always find a color that is close or go black for a contrasting color. Or paint all your cladding black and a black bezel will be perfect.
gcjeeping is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Painting things and used rusty equipment is not really what I'm looking for.....
I'm looking for brand new and factory look.

Unread 03-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

Guess why I like cali. I pull rust free parts. Harness cant really get worn so used is fine and that leaves the bezel which is hard to see when installed. So $45 used vs $200 new.

Well Hope ya find what your looking for. Google the following and you can see some places that are selling them.

2003 parts fiche.

"82206837 hitch"

"56042239AH WIRING, Trailer Tow"

You will have to decide the color code.

"5FY10VF7AA Bezel, hitch" [DR,EL,FF,RV,UB,W1]

"5FY10WLPAA Bezel, hitch" [FF,RV,W1]

"5FY10XS9AA Bezel, hitch" [SB,BT,JR,XR]

"5FY10ZSPAA Bezel, hitch" [BT,BQ,DR,EL,JR,SB,UB,XR]
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Why not go aftermarket if you're looking for new?
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
grussell
2001 WJ 

I bought a hitch and wiring harness from a wrecking yard in very good condition, no rust. I did clean it and put a fresh coat of paint on it though.
As far as I know if the dealer can't get an Argent bumper cover you may be painting one. I have never seen that color option with aftermarket. Try this dealer link for research. http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
Why not go aftermarket if you're looking for new?
I like the little JEEP symbol being on it

Really though, the aftermarket ones that I have seen hang down PAST the bumper cover and just dont look stock. Do you know of one that hides behind the bumper cover the same as the MOPAR version ??

Unread 03-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
Guess why I like cali. I pull rust free parts. Harness cant really get worn so used is fine and that leaves the bezel which is hard to see when installed. So $45 used vs $200 new.

Well Hope ya find what your looking for. Google the following and you can see some places that are selling them.

2003 parts fiche.

"82206837 hitch"

"56042239AH WIRING, Trailer Tow"

You will have to decide the color code.

"5FY10VF7AA Bezel, hitch" [DR,EL,FF,RV,UB,W1]

"5FY10WLPAA Bezel, hitch" [FF,RV,W1]

"5FY10XS9AA Bezel, hitch" [SB,BT,JR,XR]

"5FY10ZSPAA Bezel, hitch" [BT,BQ,DR,EL,JR,SB,UB,XR]

Thats the thing around here you CANT pull a hitch or most parts without rust, and the hitch wont have just surface rust it will be deep rust that is several layers deep. Same with the harness I would never reuse a harness that has been on a vehicle already for ten years, with the corrosion and the fatigue of the hardware its just not worth the hassle of intermittent problem impedance issues and breakage potential of wire insulation and plug hardware. Some of the same reasons I want an OE harness rather than just tapping in with a generic one size fits all wiring kit.

I 'm pretty sure the dealer can get my bumper itself and the hitch setup, I'm just looking around for a better deal....

Unread 03-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

I can see you wanting new but your logic is confusing. Worried about putting used 10 yr old parts on your 11 yr old used jeep.

But still hope you get to find your new parts.
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
I can see you wanting new but your logic is confusing. Worried about putting used 10 yr old parts on your 11 yr old used jeep.

But still hope you get to find your new parts.
I'm not following the confusion.......
If I replace a part I dont replace it with a used part (if possible), I replace it with new than its worry free. I cant replace all the parts on the JEEP to make them new (although I do as many as I can) but if I have to add to it or repair I'm gonna go new to prevent that reoccurring failure.
The JEEP is 11 yo but looks brand new as I have an OCD with maintenance and care for my things, NO RUST the JEEP looks and drives new mostly repainted last year. Therefore If I were to add an old hitch it would be the worst looking part of the whole vehicle, and no point in adding OLD electronical connection that has the matching oxidization and corrosion level of the rest of the connections on the vehicle, why not make it better....

I guess its just personal preference, I like a clean new looking vehicle (for the WJ anyway).

Unread 03-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

Good luck finding an OEM never-been used hitch. It may be possible but a long search for you. Your best bet for a used rust-free hitch may be checking on-line for parts from the AZ-NM-TX areas that rarely see snow.

I got a perfectly fine used hitch w/wiring harness from a salvage yard in Tucson. It had road grime but no rust and required no painting other than a quick wash before installation.
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
corpulent
2004 WJ 

As I understand it, the old through-the-bumper Mopar hitch has been discontinued. The new part is now below the bumper. So unless you can find someone with some really old "new" stock, you're left going with used or aftermarket.

That being said, I could never find one either, so I got a Reese 33018, which does come through the bumper like the original OEM style. It comes with a black bezel and cutting template.

Paint it.
corpulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpulent View Post
As I understand it, the old through-the-bumper Mopar hitch has been discontinued. The new part is now below the bumper. So unless you can find someone with some really old "new" stock, you're left going with used or aftermarket.

That being said, I could never find one either, so I got a Reese 33018, which does come through the bumper like the original OEM style. It comes with a black bezel and cutting template.

Paint it.
Do you have any pics of that hitch on ur JEEP ??

Unread 03-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B-33T View Post
Good luck finding an OEM never-been used hitch. It may be possible but a long search for you. Your best bet for a used rust-free hitch may be checking on-line for parts from the AZ-NM-TX areas that rarely see snow.

I got a perfectly fine used hitch w/wiring harness from a salvage yard in Tucson. It had road grime but no rust and required no painting other than a quick wash before installation.
I could handle road grime with some degreaser and power washer, I've just never had luck cleaning up rust and keeping it gone.
Any websites for any salvage yards down there ??

Unread 03-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
corpulent
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
Do you have any pics of that hitch on ur JEEP ??
I do not, but I found this video that has some images:

corpulent is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.