Bump stop extensions with IRO 3" - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-22-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
judunty84
2004 WJ 

I have an IRO 3" lift and am getting ready to order bump stop extensions. I flexed out the suspension today with both sway bars disconnected and got measurements. However, I am unsure of what to get.

On the front, I have about 2.25" of shock left and about 2.75" until the bump stop hits. I figure the bump stop will compress a half inch or so. The tire stuffs about where I want it. I don't want any more up travel than where the wheel was. Will 3" of bump stop be enough to add? Figured with bump stop compression, that gives me about a quarter inch before the shock would bottom out.

On the rear, I have about 0.75" of shock left and roughly 1.00" until the bump stop hits. However, the tire was into the body on each side of the tire. So I want to add a little more extra to reduce up travel on the rear. I am thinking I need to add 2" in the rear to make up a half inch of compression, a half inch to bring the wheel down a bit, and an inch to cover the shock.

Does this sound right?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-22-2017, 10:53 AM
4WDlifeform

2004 WJ 

Those OEM stoppers are pretty soft. Add an inch for them to compress, not half inch. I just did this, once I put my spacers in and flexed it into the stops, they compressed way further than I thought. Plus, if you hit into something rather than a slow flex, it'd probably compress even more.

But, you're figuring it right. Just add more height to compensate for the soft OEM bumps.

'04 WJ 4.0, 300k miles! 2" Coils 255/70 AT on JK take-offs
'14 KL 3.2 Trailhawk - !!FOR SALE!!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-24-2017, 09:34 AM
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

I can confirm they will compress 100% flat. This is worse case scenario but can be common if you hit a something at speed. Why not just call IRO and buy the ones they sell in the 3" kit? No need to measure.

Brian's Black Betty Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
judunty84
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDlifeform
Those OEM stoppers are pretty soft. Add an inch for them to compress, not half inch. I just did this, once I put my spacers in and flexed it into the stops, they compressed way further than I thought. Plus, if you hit into something rather than a slow flex, it'd probably compress even more. But, you're figuring it right. Just add more height to compensate for the soft OEM bumps.
Awesome, great info. I ended up ordering 3.5" for the front and 2.5" for the rear. Thanks!
post #5 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
judunty84
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i
I can confirm they will compress 100% flat. This is worse case scenario but can be common if you hit a something at speed. Why not just call IRO and buy the ones they sell in the 3" kit? No need to measure.
I wasn't aware their lift kits came with bump stops. I don't think there is a standard bump stop versus lift size because it's going to depend on what you want to get out of the suspension plus what shocks you are running. Some may want to limit up travel or some may need more pending shock travel.

Thanks for the info on the stock stoppers though. Good to know they are that soft.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 AM
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

I may be wrong, but I don't think the bump stop extension options vary much for 3" based on shocks etc. Some shocks (doetsche tech) do come with built in bumpstops so you may not need external bump stops. The bump stop is for limiting up travel only and that should be about the same (3") for all 3" lifts and a stock axle. The uptravel limit will prevent your tires from hitting the fenders (you can trim for this and maybe get away with shorter bump stops) and also steering components from hitting oil pans, etc. It looks like a 3" lift should have 3" bump stop extensions all else equal, so you could order that. Here's a quick read from iron rock offroad on measuring https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/prod...ump-stops.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
judunty84
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i
I may be wrong, but I don't think the bump stop extension options vary much for 3" based on shocks etc. Some shocks (doetsche tech) do come with built in bumpstops so you may not need external bump stops. The bump stop is for limiting up travel only and that should be about the same (3") for all 3" lifts and a stock axle. The uptravel limit will prevent your tires from hitting the fenders (you can trim for this and maybe get away with shorter bump stops) and also steering components from hitting oil pans, etc. It looks like a 3" lift should have 3" bump stop extensions all else equal, so you could order that. Here's a quick read from iron rock offroad on measuring https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/prod...ump-stops.html
It says right in the IRO article you sent to not rely on the advertised lift height. I agree if you are just looking for stock uptravel, the I should go with a 3" extension ASSUMING the lift kit got me exactly 3" of lift and the shocks I'm running will allow for it. Shock travel can vary depending on what you are running. The bump stop prevents you from bottoming out on the shock and thus blowing it out or damaging the shock mounts.

If you want more uptravel, then you would add less bump stop. My main concern was how much the stock stoppers compress which to your point is a lot since they are soft. Therefore, if I only add 3" to the front, I know I'm going to rub more than I already do.

I only need 2.5" in the rear as I have about 3/4" of shock left and about an inch until I hit the bump stop. So 2.5" should take into account an inch for stopper compression, the inch of travel I have left, and a half inch to reduce rear uptravel since I'm rubbing now.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-25-2017, 06:35 PM
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Good points. The bump stops on these WJ's are overall a pain in the butt and not very well designed for wheeling.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-05-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
judunty84
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDlifeform View Post
Those OEM stoppers are pretty soft. Add an inch for them to compress, not half inch. I just did this, once I put my spacers in and flexed it into the stops, they compressed way further than I thought. Plus, if you hit into something rather than a slow flex, it'd probably compress even more.

But, you're figuring it right. Just add more height to compensate for the soft OEM bumps.
I just got my bump stops in last night and cycled the suspension to make sure everything looked ok. The front is perfect. The rear, not so much. The rear stopper is pointed, so when it hits the IRO extension, the point doesn?t his center of the spacer and defects off to the side. I think the amount of spacer I added is the right length but the stopper itself doesn?t compress into it but rather gets pushed out of the way thus making the rears ineffective.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.